Theater

‘Tired Old Queen at the Movies’ to perform one-man show in Syracuse

Courtesy of Steve Hayes

Steve Hayes started a YouTube series called "Tired Old Queen at the Movies" to keep films he loves alive for younger generations.

When upstate New York native Steve Hayes was 8 years old, his mother said he had two options for an Easter present: a basket of treats or a trip to the movie theater to see “South Pacific.” Hayes chose the movie.

Since then, Hayes has pursued a career in show business, racking up experience in cinema, television and theater. His one-man show “Raised by Warner Brothers, Born in Syracuse” will play three performances at the Redhouse Arts Center this weekend.

Hayes describes his upcoming performance as funny, lighthearted and naughty at times. The show will fuse together his storytelling abilities with his humorous side, mixing autobiographical elements with comedic ones.

The entertainer is from New Woodstock, a small town located near Cazenovia. Hayes is excited about performing at the Redhouse because of its community-centered approach to the fine arts.

“The Redhouse is such a wonderful organization because they take such interest in community,” Hayes said. “They don’t do safe things, they do a lot of unconventional things.”

Although he’ll be taking the stage this weekend, Hayes has always had a love for the silver screen. His interest in film developed through watching “NBC Saturday Night at the Movies” during his adolescence in the ‘60s.  Hayes joked that his mother used this interest in film as an incentive for good behavior.

“My mother used to blackmail me,” Hayes said. “She’d look up in the Sunday paper, find out what’s going to be on ‘Saturday Night at the Movies’ and say ‘Alright, next week: “Demetrius and the Gladiators, you better behave all week long.’”

His favorite movie is one he watched when he was a kid: Alfred Hitchcock’s “Vertigo.” The movie greatly affected him, despite being only 9 or 10 years old when he first saw it. Growing up, Hayes enjoyed watching movies over and over again. He would watch for different things, such as how they were shot and how the music played a part. This love for cinema stuck with him through adulthood.

Hayes started a YouTube series named “Tired Old Queen at the Movies” 8 years ago. In each video he discusses a different film, but unlike many other cinema-based YouTube channels, Hayes doesn’t criticize them. His goal is to share “incredible plot-driven and character-driven films” so they are kept alive for future generations.

“If the younger generation doesn’t take an interest in them, then they’re gonna go,” Hayes said. “I don’t critique them. … If I decide to talk about it, it’s because I love it.”

Samara Hannah, executive director at the Redhouse Arts Center, said Hayes brings an infectious energy to the room when he performs. He has been part of the Redhouse family for years, having performed there in the past, and he will be the first to perform in the smaller of three brand-new theaters at the Redhouse at City Center.

The set for Hayes’ show will be simple in order to maintain the intimacy of the small space, Hannah said. For Hayes, the cozy nature of the venue will allow the audience’s energy to be part of the show.

Although the construction at the brand-new Redhouse at City Center is finishing up, Hannah said money is the venue’s greatest challenge. The organization has raised $8 million of its $10 million fundraising goal. Once construction is completed, the Redhouse will then outfit the space with details and customizations, Hannah added.

“Raised by Warner Brothers, Born in Syracuse” will run Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online or through the Redhouse box office. Hayes is also starring in Redhouse’s production of “La Cage Aux Folles,” which opens May 31.