Editorial Board

Theta Tau video is the tipping point in a cultural epidemic at SU

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Syracuse University's professional engineering fraternity, Theta Tau, has been suspended in response to an "extremely racist" video involving members of the organization.

Kent Syverud wasn’t there.

As hundreds of Syracuse University community members filled Hendricks Chapel on Wednesday night to express their anger, fear and frustration in response to a vile video that led to Theta Tau’s suspension from SU, the university’s leader was absent.

Syverud attended a campus meeting in Hendricks Chapel facilitated by Hendricks Dean Brian Konkol at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in response to the suspension, which came after the chancellor’s campus-wide email condemned the video as “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities.”

Syverud was at a University Senate meeting later that afternoon, where he saw students leave the room after their voices were cut short. But he wasn’t in the room to listen to hundreds of concerned students, faculty and staff Wednesday evening when most community members were out of class and work.

As the leader of the university, it’s time for Syverud to address a campus that is reflecting on a deeper, pervasive cultural issue that reached a tipping point after The Daily Orange released the video. The video isn’t surprising — it’s a manifestation of microaggressions, rumors, whispers and outright acts of hatred marginalized students encounter in their time at SU. The only difference between this display of prejudice and so many others that go unnoticed at the university is that someone recorded it, and it got out.

The behavior depicted in the video isn’t an isolated incident. It’s the byproduct of a toxic Greek environment that breeds complicity in exchange for social validation. And now, more than ever, students don’t need a campus-wide email that makes a poor attempt at damage control. SU must act in solidarity with its students to make institutional adjustments, which will need input from the campus community — and students especially — to make sure the momentum doesn’t stop here.

colindavy_thetatauprotest_24

Colin Davy | Staff Photographer

Students showed up. They protested. They led conversations in Hendricks. Student Association President James Franco called for an audit of Greek life to “re-evaluate its impact on the campus community and its value.”

SU students have questions. The Daily Orange answered #WheresTheVideoSU. But we’re all still waiting for the administration to answer the next question: #WheresKent.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email [email protected].

MORE COVERAGE: