humor column

Top four most iconic moments at SU this year

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

SU’s 2017-2018 school year will go down in history as one of the most dramatic, says Humor columnist Annabeth Grace Mann.

We can all agree that the past year has been pretty weird. Since we arrived in Syracuse back in August, a lot has happened. Here’s a breakdown of some of our arguably best moments:

The mumps outbreak

If you’ve been keeping up with Syracuse University news at all this year, you’ll know that the mumps infected our previously healthy campus. But we made it through thanks to endless memes and vaccines that I’m pretty sure made a lot of people faint. With luck, maybe we even gave a mump or two to Duke during the Sweet Sixteen game.

Email scandals

We’ve had another blessed year filled with tens of thousands — rough estimate — of Pete Sala emails. Syracuse is a cloudy place, but those construction updates shine a little light onto our campus.

How these emails got so popular, I don’t know. I think Pete Sala has been casting a spell on us with his beautiful words all year. They’re probably the only official emails that students here read. Our year here wouldn’t have been the same without the poet that is Pete.

Students this year have also proven that they are unable to not click the “reply all” button. With two Listserv fiascos and one “Bee Movie” script in the past 365 days, SU has to have set a new record for campus-wide communication. Maybe that’s why the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications is ranked so highly as a communications school.

Block Party bust

Then there was the absolute tragedy of the 2018 Ticketmaster Crash. For a full day, SU students were deprived of Block Party tickets — but we did save $20. Now many of us are down $20 –– but we have tickets.

All I can say is rest in peace to that $20. You had a good fight, but University Union won in the end.

Bleeding Orange year round

This year has been filled with the orange blood of SU students. Not in a murderous way, or even a spirited way, but it is physically orange. It’s because people keep eating Tide Pods. Those are, according to doctors everywhere, poisonous. But you know –– if they help us rep ‘Cuse even more, we have to keep eating them. Who knows, with the increase in demand maybe they’ll come out with more flavors other than “soap” one day. But until then, a girl can only dream.

Annabeth Grace Mann is a sophomore film major. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected].