Reaction: 4 takeaways from Syracuse football’s Spring Showcase

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Syracuse's offense scored four touchdowns and kicked three field goals on Friday night in its Spring Showcase.

Syracuse held its Spring Showcase on Friday night in the Carrier Dome. Several notable players didn’t participate in the action on Friday, including starting quarterback Eric Dungey, whom head coach Dino Babers said was completely healthy. In all, Syracuse scored four touchdowns and kicked three field goals, while missing one field goal attempt.

The loudest cheers of the night came on the final drive. Just weeks after being diagnosed with testicular cancer, redshirt sophomore quarterback Rex Culpepper entered the game to a standing ovation.

After hugs from his teammates and Babers, Culpepper completed all four of his passing attempts, capped off by a 17-yard touchdown toss to tight end Ravian Pierce.

Tommy touchdown?

Tommy DeVito, the much talked-about redshirt freshman quarterback, made his Syracuse debut on Friday evening, going 8-for-15 for 58 yards and no touchdowns.

DeVito opened the game with the starting offense — presumed starter Eric Dungey didn’t play — and began with a completion to Nykeim Johnson on a swing pass to the right side. The second drive was much of the same, with DeVito going 2-for-4, only attempting short passes.

As the game wore on, DeVito had his bright spots and his blemishes. He showcased his natural arm talent by zipping a pass to Michigan State transfer Trishton Jackson on the right side with perfect timing. Later in the game, he squeezed a pass in a tight window to Jamal Custis.

But twice earlier in the game, he overthrew Custis. The first was a fly route down the right sideline. Custis was blanketed by a defender but had a distinct height advantage and could’ve hauled in a pass. It didn’t matter, because DeVito’s heave landed five yards in front of Custis.

A few drives later, Custis came open over the middle. DeVito delivered the ball on time, but it was again over the head of the 6-foot-5 Custis.

The other quarterbacks who played — redshirt junior Clayton Welch, freshman Chance Amie and redshirt sophomore Rex Culpepper — combined for three total touchdowns and 147 yards. Culpepper and Welch each had a touchdown pass and Amie took a run-pass option into the end zone himself.

“We’ve had so many quarterbacks that we’ve gotta get in the Dome,” Babers said postgame. “We’ve got guys that are doing some good things in practice, but we don’t know how they’re going to do it in front of crowd, we don’t know how they’re going to function in the Dome.”

Nickels and Dime

Syracuse’s defense played almost exclusively a 4-2-5 nickel defense on Friday night. Following an offseason in which everyone wondered how Syracuse would replace its three starting linebackers, the Orange chose to play just two.

Ryan Guthrie started at middle linebacker for SU in its traditional defense on the first drive. After that, the Orange cycled several linebackers including a frequent combination of either Guthrie or junior Andrew Armstrong and former safety Kielan Whitner.

Babers said that the nickel sets came in response to SU’s spread look on offense.

“We ran a lot of 10 and 11 personnel,” he said. “Any time you get a lot of 10 and 11 you’re going to get a bunch of nickel. It was just based off personnel groups the offense was throwing out.”

In several sets, Syracuse had three safeties on the field. Redshirt senior Antwan Cordy, who’s played safety in the past, played nickel corner while junior Evan Foster and freshman Andre Cisco played safety.

Ground and Pound

Last season, the SU rushing offense ranked 70th out of 129 FBS teams. With Dungey not playing, Syracuse relied heavy on the run game. Senior running back Dontae Strickland and freshman quarterback Chance Amie each had rushing touchdowns for Syracuse.

On the Orange’s fourth drive of the game, Strickland delivered the hardest hit of the night. After breaking loose off the right side of Syracuse’s offensive line, Strickland planted Devon Clarke, trucking over the defensive back and continuing for a few extra yards.

“I was excited about Dontae,” Babers said. “He got banged up during our physical week. You’re talking about a guy that’s been a starting tailback for basically two years and he could’ve tapped out and said, ‘Coach, I’m done for the spring.’”

Later in the scrimmage, Strickland dashed for the Orange’s longest rush of the night, just more than 20 yards once again off the right side. Similar to Strickland’s earlier carry, former center-turned-right tackle Airon Servais bullied his defender, opening a gaping hole off Servais’ right hip. Strickland carried twice more to the left, the second of which finished into the end zone and was the lone time SU’s offense found the end zone with DeVito at quarterback.

“If we can figure out a way to keep those guys together,” Babers said of the offensive line, “we’re going to be OK. But it’s very difficult to do, especially with that group, what normally happens when you get an injury with that group is it’s a long injury, not a short injury.”

Though Syracuse’s first offense played against its second defense for the entirety of the night, it rushed for 201 yards on 43 carries. Strickland led all rushers with 82 yards on eight carries while Moe Neal rushed 10 times for 70 yards.

Catch and release

In both of Dino Babers’ first two seasons at Syracuse, he’s had a 1000-yard receiver. In 2016, it was Amba Etta-Tawo, and last year it was Steve Ishmael.

But on Friday night, none of SU’s pass catchers separated themselves from the pack. The best performer was tight end Ravian Pierce, who snagged two touchdowns but disappeared otherwise, though Babers did say Pierce’s out-and-up route on his second touchdown reception was one of the best routes he’s seen.

“I thought it was absolutely fantastic,” Babers said.

Sean Riley (seven yards), Jamal Custis (six) and Nykeim Johnson (28) were all pedestrian. Trishton Jackson made some good plays in space, including a 21-yard snag, but will sit out the 2018 season to transfer rules.

Devin Butler made the best play of the night from any receivers, snagging an intermediate crossing route late in the showcase and taking it for 24 yards. He led all receivers with 54 yards.

“I’m going to keep the faith that somebody is going to pop up over the summer and we are going to be just fine,” Babers said.