Mayfest 2018

Quinn XCII to headline Mayfest 2018

Courtesy of University Union

Quinn XCII’s EP "Change of Scenery," which came out in 2015, helped put him on the map according to his Spotify bio.

Singer-songwriter Quinn XCII, rapper YBN Nahmir and DJ-producer Orange Calderón will headline this year’s Mayfest concert, University Union announced Friday.

The annual spring concert will be held in Walnut Park on April 27, with gates opening at 1 p.m. The concert precedes Block Party, which takes place that evening in the Carrier Dome and will include performers Gucci Mane, SZA and Medasin.

Detroit-based Quinn XCII blends together elements of pop, electronic, hip-hop and soul in his music. His debut album, “The Story of Us” was released last September, and he’s known for his single “Straightjacket.” The track has been streamed more than 39 million times around the globe, and Quinn XCII has nearly four million monthly listeners on Spotify. His first nationwide headline tour directly following the album release is nearly sold out, according to a University Union press release.

YBN Nahmir’s song “Rubbin Off The Paint” has more than 108 million views on YouTube as of Friday morning. The song hit #79 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #33 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop chart upon its debut, per the release. The 18-year-old rapper from Alabama has also released remixes of popular songs like Lil Pump’s “Gucci Gang.”

Orange Calderón has opened for artists like Skrillex and Outkast and has DJed in a Jeep commercial, per the release. In 2016 she became the first woman to win a national DJ competition, taking home top honors at McDonald’s x Complex’s Annual ‘Flavor Battle’ DJ Tournament. She’s also been previously named to the “DeLeón 100,” a list of industry trailblazers selected by Sean “Diddy” Combs in partnership with Billboard.

Aside from the performers, Mayfest will also include student art installations, airbrush tattoo, henna, inflatable obstacle courses, a lounge area and giant board games, per the release. Another feature of the event is Silent Disco, which will feature student DJs Nich Hoffman, Khari Brandes, Culture Clash and Ryan French.

Entrance to Mayfest is free for all undergraduate students at Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF with a valid student ID. SU and SUNY-ESF graduate students, SU College of Law students and guests of SU undergraduate students can pre-purchase tickets for $23.50 at the Schine Box Office starting Tuesday at 9 a.m. Information about beverage bracelets and other event logistics can be found online.

Last year’s Mayfest headliner was rapper Tunji Ige, who came to Syracuse after Vic Mensa was unable to perform due to flight cancellations.