Sex & Health Column

Mayfest is a marathon, not a sprint: It’s time to prepare

Colin Davey | Staff Photographer

Mayfest is being held this Friday in Walnut Park and is hosted by University Union. Block Party is Friday night in the Carrier Dome.

At long last, the day has come: The day we’ve waited for through the winter, the day where we’ll all ignore studying for finals for just a bit longer, the day we’ll get to feel the sun on our faces. Mayfest is finally here.

With the premise of an entire day dedicated to having fun, people understandably get excited, and overestimating your limits is just as easy. Here’s how to stay healthy so you can go the distance.

Step One: Drink water

Mayfest is a long, active day — you have to hydrate. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired. Not the combination you want. On any given day, men need 15.5 cups of fluids a day, while women need 11.5, according to Mayo Clinic.

With all the dancing, games and general festivities that will take place, Mayfest-goers will need even more water than normal to make up for the fluids they’ll lose while sweating. Luckily for students, University Union will be providing free food and beverages.

Step Two: Wear sunscreen

It’s easy to forget the effects of the sun after spending months stuck inside, but it will burn you. The weather in Syracuse is unpredictable, so don’t forget your sunscreen just in case.

In the short term, a sunburn will mean a painful few days, but these burns can add up to skin damage or cancer in the long run. So remember: Apply, reapply and repeat.

Step Three: Be careful with alcohol

It’s no secret students celebrate Mayfest with drinking, but it’s important to stay smart about it. Binge drinking could cause you to feel nauseous and vomit, lead to unintended injuries from impaired judgment or cause alcohol poisoning.

Substituting water with alcoholic beverages also puts you at much greater risk for dehydration. Try to drink a bottle of water for every alcoholic drink to keep yourself safe.

Step Four: Be aware of your resources

If your health becomes a more serious concern, University Union is providing resources to keep students safe, according to University Union Vice President Samantha Sarno.

There will be an EMS tent on site with trained medical professionals and staff to help any students who need their services, Sarno said. There will also be members of Syracuse University Ambulance roaming in the park and watching out for students who may need assistance.

Caroline Maguire is a sophomore television, radio and film and psychology double major. Her column appears biweekly. Contact her at [email protected] or on twitter at @carolinemags22.