Matthew Moyer opts for Vanderbilt

Alexandra Moreo | Staff Photographer

Moyer struggled through an ankle injury in 2018 and lost his starting spot to Marek Dolezaj midway through the season.

Former Syracuse redshirt freshman Matthew Moyer will transfer to Vanderbilt, he announced on Twitter on Thursday afternoon.

Moyer started the first 20 games last season for the Orange, losing his job after suffering a high-ankle sprain on Jan. 24 against Boston College. He played in 15 more games but never started.

The forward announced his intent to transfer on March 26, shortly after SU’s season-ending loss to Duke in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament. Moyer finished the year averaging 16.8 minutes, 3.2 points and 3.4 rebounds per game.

In Moyer’s first year at SU, he injured himself during the 2016-17 preseason, deciding to redshirt. He struggled in his only season playing with the Orange and was often chastised by head coach Jim Boeheim.

At then-No. 23 Florida State in January, Moyer said Boeheim “got into me” during halftime. Moyer said that was not uncommon, especially if he had made a few mistakes early in the game.

“Obviously coach Boeheim can be tough sometimes,” Moyer told The Daily Orange before SU’s Sweet 16 matchup with Duke a month ago.

Moyer is the fourth player to leave the SU program in the past academic year, joining Taurean Thompson, graduate student Geno Thorpe and walk-on-turned-scholarship player Braedon Bayer.