Music Column

What Kendrick Lamar’s Pulitzer Prize means for hip-hop

Courtesy of Interscope Records

Kendrick Lamar is the first hip-hop artist to win the Pulitzer Prize Music Award. His album “DAMN” is the first album outside the jazz or classical genres to win the award.

The Pulitzer Prize is one of the most prestigious awards in the world, recognizing remarkable achievements in journalism, literature and the arts throughout the United States. Previous recipients of Pulitzer Prizes include iconic figures like Robert Frost and John F. Kennedy. It was announced on Monday that Kendrick Lamar would be among those receiving the 2018 Pulitzer Prize in the music category for his album “DAMN.”

“DAMN.” made history by being the first album outside of the jazz or classical music genres to win the award. With yet another accolade, Lamar is moving up into the annals of hip-hop legends. The Pulitzer Prize Board took a major step in the right direction. Along with other recent award decisions, choosing “DAMN.” to win a prize for music shows a newfound push to recognize contemporary music. And for hip-hop, this is yet another recent example of the genre’s — and to an extent, culture’s — shift into the mainstream.

As hip-hop gets older, it gets more and more difficult for its artists to make greatest-of-all-time lists. Newer legends continually replace old ones. Lamar is at a point in his career where his name can be solidly mentioned alongside the legends. He is one of the greatest rappers of all time and this Pulitzer Prize is more evidence of that.

From the time he dropped “Overly Dedicated,” Lamar has been one of the most lyrical, skilled and competitive rappers in the game. He has revolutionized how rap music sounds and inspired millions with his words. His consistent greatness is unquestionable, and with yet another accolade, it’s amazing to see his evolution.

The first Pulitzer Prize was awarded in 1917 to French author and diplomat Jean Jules Jusserand. With over a century of history, any time a “first” happens it’s important to acknowledge and consider the implications.

The Pulitzer Prize for Music is given “for distinguished musical composition.” By giving “DAMN.” this award, the organization has not only recognized modern music, but contemporary black artistry. In doing so, it has opened the door to other groups of people who never felt any connection to this award. Perhaps this award will be the first of a pattern and inspire people who may have not thought it possible to aspire to win the Pulitzer Prize one day.

As for hip-hop: In the last few years, whether it’s winning prestigious awards, late-night and daytime television appearances by artists or record breaking streaming numbers, rap music has evolved into the mainstream genre of music. While this is amazing from a growth perspective, it may be hard to see for people who value hip-hop’s “purity.”

Rap music has always been about something. It represents success, struggle, perseverance and soul. It is a true reflection of the lives of its listeners. As the number of listeners increases, these reflections will evolve and may not always reflect the lives of the people who created hip-hop. The culture has changed so much, and it will continue to. No matter what happens, it has been amazing to witness this process.

Congratulations Lamar on your Pulitzer Prize. Let’s win it again next year.

Jalen Nash is a sophomore political science major. His music column appears biweekly in Pulp. You can email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @ja_nash3.