Editorial Board

The Daily Orange Editorial Board endorses Ghufran Salih and Kyle Rosenblum for Student Association

Kai Nguyen | Photo Editor

The Daily Orange Editorial Board endorses presidential candidate Ghufran Salih and vice presidential candidate Kyle Rosenblum for Student Association's 62nd legislative session.

Editor’s note: The Daily Orange Editorial Board sat down for interviews with all Student Association presidential and vice presidential candidates to discuss campus issues and the dynamics of the undergraduate student governing body. The transcriptions of those interviews are available here.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board endorses presidential candidate Ghufran Salih and vice presidential candidate Kyle Rosenblum to represent Syracuse University’s undergraduate student body during Student Association’s 62nd legislative session.

In a campaign lineup that featured five sophomores, the collective strength of the campaigns bodes well for the future of student civic engagement within SA. Still, Salih and Rosenblum have an unmatched awareness of critical issues facing current and future SU students, including the Invest Syracuse initiative and a $3,300 tuition premium that will take effect this fall.

Salih, a sophomore information management and technology major, has not been involved in SA previously. Rosenblum, a sophomore psychology major, has served as co-chair of SA’s health and wellness subcommittee. Salih’s lack of prior student government experience paired with Kyle’s committee service balances a fresh outside perspective with a familiarity of the policy work required to navigate the ins and outs of SA.

Salih and Rosenblum’s emphasis on tangible initiatives is encouraging. The pair hopes to increase funding for SU resource centers, including the Slutzker Center for International Services, the LGBT Resource Center and the Counseling Center. The campaign would also push for the implementation of Callisto, a third-party recording and reporting system, to improve accessibility for students reporting sexual assault to the university.

Following current SA President James Franco and Vice President Angie Pati’s tenure, it’s vital that the organization’s incoming leadership relate to the student body on a legislative and personal level. One of the core components of Franco and Pati’s success has been the chemistry they have. Salih and Rosenblum exhibit a similar partnership and approachability that can be trusted to speak on behalf of more than 15,000 undergraduates.

Throughout this year’s election season, each pair of SA candidates emphasized the value of accessibility, expanded resources for marginalized communities and representation — three core areas for improvement in student life at SU. Should Salih and Rosenblum win, The D.O. Editorial Board hopes the JankovicFazal and EllsweigHouck tickets continue to invest their passion in SA and bring their ideas to fruition.

As SU continues to implement sprawling academic plans that affect every level of the student experience, the administration’s actions must be monitored closely. Looking to the 2018-19 academic year, Salih and Rosenblum have the charisma, insight and skill to ensure undergraduate student voices aren’t forgotten — or ignored — along the way.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email [email protected].