Women's Lacrosse

After converting from midfield, Ella Simkins has led Syracuse’s defense

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Ella Simkins (No. 32) was a big part of Syracuse's 17-15 win over Florida on March 7.

In her first season at SU, Ella Simkins played only five of Syracuse’s 22 games. At that point, she was still a midfielder. A year later, and after the graduation of four defenders, Simkins has filled a void.

“It was an opportunity for her to contribute on the defensive end this year,” SU assistant coach Regy Thorpe said of Simkins’ move to defense. “I think for our needs this year, we really needed to crank up our athleticism on the D end and clearing.”

Simkins has started all 18 games for No. 19 Syracuse (9-9, 1-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) and leads the team with 16 caused turnovers. The Long Island native ranks second on the team in ground balls, with 30.

“I really enjoy playing defense,” Simkins said, “and I was interested in learning the position because I kinda only knew the backstory.”

Simkins had always played offensive midfield, and didn’t understand the intricacies of the defense behind her. During her transition, she was exposed to a completely new understanding of the offense and of the team’s communication. Her position change has increased her knowledge of the game, she said.

“Playing behind the crease, I get to see the field differently,” Simkins said. “It’s just a different mindset.”

A game that stands out for Simkins is not one that highlighted her own personal success. It’s a game in which her team played well together. When Syracuse took on then-No. 4 Florida in early March, the defense held off a late run to win 17-15.

“This year, a really good game for us was against Florida,” the sophomore said. “We had a lot of good stops, which really hyped us up. All of our defense came together and we were definitely really excited about how we played.”

defensive-development

Digital Design Editor | Kevin Camelo

Thorpe helped recruit Simkins out of high school, and in that process, her athleticism and power stood out. Now as a defender, Simkins’ speed shows as she sprints down the field to clear the ball.

“I definitely take a big part in the clear,” Simkins said. “I run the ball down the field, dodging defenders and looking for that pass to get over the restraining line to get the ball into the offensive end.”

Beyond the clear, her strongest attribute is getting the first bump on the person she’s defending, and using her strength to manipulate the opposition, she said.

A bump is one method defenders can use to make early contact with an attacker to slow them down. When Simkins reflected on the importance of getting the bump, she emphasized how vital it is for defenders to be able to control the pace of the game.

Simkins’ close friend and teammate, Asa Goldstock, complimented the defender.

“She has a couple roles on our team,” Goldstock said. “She’s a great defender, she’s really coming together as a leader … and she does a really good job at getting everyone on our team to come together prior to games.”

Simkins has her whole team’s goal in mind.

“Every day I come in with the same mindset: do whatever I have to do to better my team and get us to our end result,” Simkins said, “which is a national championship.”