THETA TAU

Complaints filed against 18 people present at Theta Tau event

Jessica Sheldon | Senior Staff Photographer

Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado announced the complaints in a campus-wide email on Sunday evening.

Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety and Student Affairs office have investigated and filed complaints against 18 people present at a Theta Tau-sponsored event captured in videos published by The Daily Orange last week.

DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado announced the filing of complaints in a campus-wide email on Sunday evening.

“Our investigation is ongoing and others may be implicated in the coming days,” Maldonado said.

Those 18 individuals have also been removed from academic participation out of an “abundance of caution” and concern for the university community, Maldonado said. Alternate class and study arrangements will be made for those students during the university’s judicial process, the chief said.

Maldonado’s announcement comes a day after the university permanently expelled its chapter of the Theta Tau fraternity. Theta Tau was originally suspended on Wednesday after SU confirmed it was involved in the circulation of online videos showing fraternity members engaging in behaviors that Chancellor Kent Syverud in an email called, “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities.”

Maldonado said the university has not and will not release the videos, but The D.O. obtained and published recordings of two videos on its website.

The DPS chief said his office “will not be party” to the distribution of what he called “hateful and hurtful content.”

MORE COVERAGE: