Theta Tau

Chancellor Kent Syverud apologizes to students for not attending Hendricks forum

Jes Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Recognize US, a student group, organized the sit-in early Friday morning just before the start of Syracuse University’s Spring Reception, an event for newly accepted students.

Chancellor Kent Syverud attended a sit-in organized at Schine Student Center on Friday morning as campus community members demanded that Syracuse University expel students who used racial slurs, including anti-Semitic language, in a video of Theta Tau fraternity members.

The chancellor apologized for not attending a Wednesday night forum at Hendricks Chapel that was organized in response to the suspension of Theta Tau.

“I should have been there,” said Syverud, as a group of about 45 students circled around him, some holding signs including “ACCEPTED STUDENTS This University doesn’t ACCEPT you” and “How About a Student-Led Tour of Campus Discrimination.”

sheldon_kent-2

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Recognize US, a student group, organized the sit-in early Friday morning just before the start of SU’s Spring Reception, an event for newly accepted students.

Students presented a list of demands to Syverud at the sit-in. Among other points on the list, Recognize US demanded that the university organize a town hall with the chancellor, Board of Trustees, administrators and deans by Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.

“I need to absorb this,” the chancellor said. Syverud was criticized by students on Thursday for not attending the Wednesday night Hendricks forum. The hashtag #WheresKent circulated on Twitter.

Protesters chanted “We demand change now!” as Syverud watched.

“I see you, I hear you and I am deeply concerned. That’s not what you want to hear, I know you want complete action. I’m working on that. I can’t say more than that right now,” Syverud said. “I love all our students.”

One student, immediately after that comment, told Syverud: “If you love us, show us.” As the chancellor left Schine, students started to chant, “Hey hey, ho ho, Theta Tau has got to go!”

SU’s chapter of Theta Tau was suspended Wednesday morning after the university confirmed it was involved in the creation of online videos showing fraternity members engaging in behaviors that were “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities,” Syverud said in a campus-wide email on Wednesday.

In recordings obtained by The Daily Orange showing the videos, which were filmed in Theta Tau’s house, a person forces another person to his knees and asks him to repeat an “oath” including racial slurs.

“I solemnly swear to always have hatred in my heart for n*ggers, sp*cs and most importantly the f*ckin’ k*kes,” the person on his knees repeats.

The videos were posted in a secret Facebook group called “Tau of Theta Tau” by a user named David Yankowy III, the recordings show.

This is a developing story. Expect additional reporting and updates.

MORE COVERAGE: