ON CAMPUS

Syracuse University opens fitness center on Mount Olympus

Jordan Muller | Asst. News Editor

The new fitness center features treadmills, weight machines and other gym equipment.

Syracuse University on Monday opened a new fitness center on Mount Olympus as part of a university-wide, multimillion-dollar fundraising initiative.

The Graham Fitness Center, built in converted space at Flint and Day Halls, features treadmills, weight machines and other gym equipment, according to an SU News release. The decision to open the center was based on student interest in expanding fitness options, per the release.

SU and SUNY-ESF ID card holders can access the fitness center on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. and on weekends from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.

The university opened the new fitness center using funds from the Invest Syracuse initiative — a five-year, $100 million fundraising plan that aims to, in part, improve the SU student experience.

Archbold Gymnasium is currently closed as construction crews work to renovate and expand the facility with amenities such as a multifloor fitness center, rock climbing wall and multi-activity sports court. The gym is expected to reopen in fall 2019.

Most of the equipment previously housed in Archbold has been moved to the Women’s Building.