Beyond the Hill

Obama Foundation and UChicago partner to grow next generation of leaders

Courtesy of William Morgan

The University of Chicago is located on the South Side of Chicago, where former President Barack Obama taught constitutional law for twelve years.

The Obama Foundation and University of Chicago have partnered together to help the next generation of leaders solve the world’s biggest problems.

Last month, the foundation and university announced the Obama Foundation Scholars Program, a scholarship program for students pursuing a master’s degree with a focus on international development and policy. The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition for the awarded students, including supplemented leadership activities led by the foundation.

The Daily Orange spoke with Associate Dean Ranjan Daniels at the Harris School of Public Policy about the program. As the deadline to complete the application for the upcoming academic year approaches, Daniels is excited about the prospect of bringing students with different stories to UChicago.

The Daily Orange: How did the program first get started?

Ranjan Daniels: I wasn’t directly involved with those conversations, but my impression is it starts with the mission of the foundation. They want to cultivate a network of global leaders or rising leaders who can tackle some of the most challenging problems societies face.

When you look at climate change or how to address income inequality or “how do we develop a healthcare system” that brings leading-edge technologies and medical breakthroughs not just to the few but to the many, I think many of those questions and research areas, our faculty are leaders in. Let’s be clear, I can’t imagine a single school not wanting to be part of this.

They looked at the schools … I suspect they saw something unique and valuable that the University of Chicago and our approach to data-driven policymaking and our interdisciplinary approach to solving problems. They picked our program, and we worked closely to make sure that the impact that they want, we can build a curriculum that will scaffold the next generation of leaders in an impactful way.

The D.O.: Have you spoken to students who are applying?

R.D.: We’ve had incredible response. It’s been a little over a month, and we’ve had about 2,700 applications and hundreds of inquiries from around the world — almost 100 different countries have responded. So tremendous interest in this initiative.

It’s also a unique offering in that it’s our master’s of international development and policy, so it’s our core classes with electives across the university. There’s also programming the foundation is going to provide, opening up their network of leaders. So you get wonderful academic experience combined with sort of practical leadership, execution, wisdom and training. Rising leaders can come with a challenge and develop an action plan to address that challenge during this program, so it’s a very unique opportunity.

The D.O.: How is this program going to add to the student population of UChicago?

R.D.: I think the global reach that the Obama Foundation has is pretty extraordinary. Our current Harris School represents 23 countries, our master’s students, and we have applications from 100 right now. It just shows you the breadth of students. The other thing I think is to offer a professional master’s program, in which students can walk out with 100 percent (of) the cost of enrollment covered, really creates an extraordinary opportunity for students (who) then can tackle (important issues) without concerns about financial pressure on them. And also while they’re in school, they can fully immerse themselves in the graduate experience and build their network, connect with students, engage with faculty without concerns about financial issues.

The D.O.: Anything else happening with the program?

R.D.: I think we’re a month into this initiative, so check back with us in the fall because these things evolve and grow in ways it’s hard to imagine. We’re very excited.