Letter to the Editor

NY voting needs to be representative for all citizens

I would like to begin by personally thanking Sen. David Valesky (D-Oneida) and Assemblywoman Pamela Hunter (D-Syracuse) for their ongoing support with ‘Let NY Vote.’ As of last month, Gov. Andrew Cuomo finally gave in and included the funding for Early Voting in New York. Voting is more than just expressing our freedom; it’s combining our knowledge and intuition to select a leader that we think will best represent us as a nation. But problems arise when voting isn’t fair for all citizens.

Think of voting as a mechanism. According to dictionary.com, a mechanism can be defined as “an assembly of moving parts performing a complete functional motion, often being part of a large machine; linkage.” The states, and even more specifically, the individuals, would be the “parts” in this mechanism. In order for a mechanism to perform at an optimal level, each part has to do its job and do it well. Each state must provide its individuals with the opportunity to vote fairly.

Unfortunately, New York is doing the opposite, and ranks 41st in lowest voting turnout. That’s why it’s crucial we continue to keep the pressure on Cuomo until the budget is finalized. Simple solutions such as Early Voting will improve the NY ‘part’ of our voting mechanism, resulting in a solid nationwide voting structure. If all states worked to improve voter turnout, our voices as citizens would be vociferous.

Sincerely,

Jarred Kraszewski

Syracuse University Class of 2019