FOODIE COLUMN

New York-based Perry’s Ice Cream releases 4 retro flavors

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

Local favorite Perry’s Ice Cream is celebrating a centennial of whipping up creative ice cream flavors. The western New York brand has crafted signature flavors and flavors for special events and sports teams, including an orange chocolate swirl called ‘Cuse 44.

To celebrate its 100-year anniversary, Perry’s is bringing back old flavors that haven’t been tasted in years. Perry’s sent me four flavors to try and share, and I’d recommend trying them all so you, too, can experience the history held in these four tubs. It’s a perfect way to add something sweet to your day.

Parkerhouse (circa 1950s)

Amaretto ice cream with maraschino cherries

The first throwback flavor I tried was the Parkerhouse because I love the taste of maraschino cherries. For me, a sundae without a maraschino cherry is not a sundae, so out of the four, this was my favorite. The ice cream wasn’t overly sweet, and the cherry chunks reminded me of simpler times when my brother and I argued over who got the cherry.

Rank: 5/5

Heavenly Hash (circa 1970s)

Chocolate and marshmallow-swirl ice cream filled with chocolate chips and roasted almonds

The next flavor I tried is the Heavenly Hash, which is similar to Rocky Road. I’m not a major fan of almonds, but they did add a nice crunch to the ice cream and a contrast to the chocolate and marshmallow swirl. I’m going to finish this tub with a glass of milk while watching Netflix.

Rank: 3/5

Butterscotch Sundae (circa 1980s)

Butterscotch ice cream with salty butterscotch swirls and roasted peanuts

Butterscotch reminds me of my grandparents giving me candy from their seemingly unlimited stash, and now I know why. Personally, I’m not a major supporter of butterscotch, which is why I liked this flavor least out of the four. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad flavor — you can fully taste the butterscotch and peanuts — but it just wasn’t for me.

Rank: 2/5

Malt Shoppe (circa 1990s)

Malted vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips

This flavor originally appeared in Morton’s Homestyle line as a ‘90s spinoff on an old-fashioned treat from the ‘50s. It’s back again, and as good as it ever was.

The classic mix of vanilla and chocolate chips never gets old, and the ice cream appears fluffy and cloud-like. The ice cream brings back memories of watching ‘90s shows like “Full House” and “Rugrats.” The Malt Shoppe flavor will take you back to simpler times.

Rank: 4/5

Taylor Lucero is a sophomore information management and technology major who is hoping to pursue a career in cybersecurity. His other passions include tasting food, sipping coffee, hugging dogs and taking the occasional power nap. He can be reached at [email protected].