Music Column

My first indie rock concert was a Drake Bell show

Daily Orange File Photos

Drake Bell's concert at Lost Horizon on Saturday night was packed with solid, catchy performances.

Yesterday marked a milestone in my life as a music fan. After 19 years and 267 days, I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and through the doors of my first indie rock concert.

The Lost Horizon in Syracuse was the venue, a decent-sized bar with a spacious, open layout. Drake Bell was the headliner. I walked in to the sound of guitar riffs and rhythms I’d never heard before, and I saw people with gel in their hair clad in leather, catchphrase T-shirts or spikes.

Although it wasn’t an environment I was used to, I felt nothing but positive vibes. And after walking around the place and finding a comfortable spot to sit and watch the show, I was ready to see what indie rock had to offer.

The show opened with the group North Divide — a band from Rochester, made up of three friends, Dylan Borrelli, James Gardner and Brett Aman. Founded in 2016, they’ve opened for a few notable artists and garnered more than 1,600 fans on Facebook.

The band started off by playing a love song, pleading with a lover to “tell me I’m not alone.” It was a pretty melodic song that had me nodding to the beat. The drummer and guitarists did a great job maintaining sound quality and keeping good tempo. Their singing reminded me of the garage-band boy bands of the 2000s.

North Divide’s sound was nostalgic without losing its modern appeal. With some more time to build continuity, I think this group can really develop its sound and start making moves in the music scene. Its newest single is set to drop on April 6.

Following a five-song opener from North Divide, Joseph Kirk came to the stage. At only 21, he’s already made quite a name for himself with his role on Team Adam in the seventh season of NBC’s hit show “The Voice.” Kirk switched the vibe of the show from country/rock to more pop/rhythm and blues. He came on without a band, singing a ballad with a beat-knock — Bryson Tiller-type instrumental — where he confesses, “I don’t know why I let you slip away.”

After a solid intro, Kirk performed five more songs — some slow, medium and up-tempo, each with a clear pop/R&B influence. He showcased his talented singing voice and had a noticeable stage presence. I enjoyed his performance a lot.

After the show, I asked Kirk about his journey as an artist. We discussed how he was exposed to music by singing in his local church choir as a child, and we discussed his musical inspirations, including Shawn Mendes and Usher. Kirk hopes to one day sell out arenas and win a Grammy, but ultimately his purpose is to make music that is meaningful and reaches people.

Kirk was followed by a group made up of his two older brothers, TRYON. TRYON burst onto the stage with energy, singing to the crowd, “If you wanna dance we can dance ‘til your legs burn out.”

During its 10-song set, TRYON brought a great deal of energy and made sure to keep the audience excited and on their feet. Justin Kirk, one member of the group, made jokes throughout the song transitions, which gave the show a different character.

After its performance, I spoke to TRYON’s Stephen and Justin Kirk. We spoke about their individual musical journeys. They grew up drawing inspiration from artists like Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder. This influence is apparent in how the group attempts to connect with the audience and the occasional high-pitched ad lib. I had fun listening to TRYON and even more fun getting to speak to them after the show.

After three acts, it was time for Drake Bell to take the stage. He came on with his acoustic guitar, wearing a white cowboy jacket. His sound was different from what I expected. I expected to hear a contemporary rock artist, but instead his songs were folky and guitar-based.

Despite being unaccustomed to his style of music, I did catch some familiar phrases in some of his songs. In his first song, he channeled his inner Vanilla Ice, saying, “think there’s a problem, yo I’ll solve it.” In my favorite of his songs, “Do What You Want,” he put a twist on the first chords from Eminem’s, “Lose Yourself,” to create a catchy song anyone can sing along to.

After a night of solid performances, I thanked the staff and some of the artists and headed out of Lost Horizon. I had just finished my first indie rock concert. While this genre is not one that I’d go home and listen to, watching North Divide, Joe Kirk, TRYON and Drake Bell perform gave me a greater appreciation of it.

As a lifelong hip-hop fan, passion is something I listen for in my favorite artists — shout out J. Cole, Kanye and Jay Z. While each performer at this concert was unique and connected to the audience in different ways, it was easy to see that they were truly passionate about their music. So to Brett Aman, Drake Bell, Dylan Borrelli, James Gardner, Joe Kirk, Stephen Kirk, Justin Kirk — you have gained a fan. Thanks for being a part of my first trip to an indie rock concert.

Jalen Nash is a sophomore political science major. His music column appears biweekly in Pulp. You can email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @ja_nash3.