Gender and Sexuality Column

Dana Balter’s congressional run signifies re-energization of women in politics

Dan Lyon | Staff Photographer

Dana Balter's congressional endorsement as Rep. John Katko's Democrat opponent highlights a shifting tide for women in politics.

Dana Balter’s endorsement as the Democrat opponent to Rep. John Katko showcases the gradual momentum of women politicians.

Balter, a visiting assistant teaching professor at Syracuse University, made headlines when the Onondaga County Democrats endorsed her to oppose Katko (R-Camillus) for New York’s 24th congressional district. Balter won an outstanding 73 percent of the vote from committee members compared to her opponents Anne Messenger and Scott Comegys. Messenger and Comegys received 26 percent and 1 percent of the vote, respectively.

Only 19.8 percent of representatives in Congress are women, per the Center for American Women and Politics, and only 25.3 percent of seats in state legislatures are occupied by women. Seeing a woman like Balter, who represents, in part, the SU community and a changing political climate, is a remarkable symbol of the progress women are making in politics.

Balter hasn’t shied away from her work with the CNY Solidarity Coalition, a grassroots organization opposing President Donald Trump and his policies. Balter calls herself a “pragmatic progressive:” a supporter of 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton but a believer in the central ideals touted by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

In a world where women are often told to suppress their emotions or opinions in exchange for respect, Balter’s approach is refreshing and empowering for women following in her wake.

And seeing women like Balter running for office can act as an example for others to emulate, said Makana Chock, an associate professor of communications at SU’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

“There is something called a ‘role model effect,’” Chock said in an email. “If young women see other women running for political office, it can create the perception that this is not just possible, but also normal, appropriate, and important.”

Despite the benefits of seeing women candidates on the ballot, Chock said these figures don’t always turn into immediate action in terms of diverse political engagement.

Role model effects tend to be greater for women politicians in novel or groundbreaking roles, and younger women are more likely than older women to increase their political activism,” Chock said.

But for SU students and women in politics, Balter’s congressional run still symbolizes the shifting tides toward greater proactivity. Her campaign means these role models showcase what kind of limits we can overcome and the heights we can surpass.

But it also means we can’t just fawn over our idols. We must take the initiative to become our own role models and set the standards for the progress we want to see.

My home country, the Philippines, has had two women presidents in its history. The first, Corazon Aquino, had family connections to my high school. While I don’t always agree with the political views Aquino held during her lifetime and career, she was an icon for me, as she showed me underdogs will fight their way to be heard. And when they’re heard, it creates a domino effect toward change.

This idea also applies to Balter’s potential impact on women in the SU and central New York communities. By representing both the educator and the educated, Balter is providing a platform for these voices. And now’s the time to take the initiative and make our opinions heard.

Lianza Reyes is a sophomore broadcast and digital journalism major. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @ReyesLianza.