Editorial Board

Syracuse University is right to protect applicants participating in peaceful protests

Sam Ogozalek | News Editor

Syracuse University joins a growing number of peer institutions protecting applicants' right to peaceful protest.

Amid a wave of protests against gun violence following the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, Syracuse University has rightfully joined a growing number of universities protecting students’ rights to free speech and peaceful protest.

SU announced via Twitter on Sunday that the university will not jeopardize admissions for applicants who participated in or faced disciplinary action for participating in “peaceful, meaningful protest.” The statement reflects a proactive stance on a growing issue surrounding students’ First Amendment rights and an increasing need for support from institutions.

With universities across the United States establishing civil engagement and political participation as the cornerstones of higher education, it’s imperative that SU ensures students are not punished for using their voices in the hopes of furthering proactive change.

And if the aftermath of the Parkland shooting is any indication, students using both social media and their actions to speak out against injustices is worth supporting. Universities are fertile grounds for peaceful protests, and the initiative shown by these student activists is worth commending, considering their activism has spurred change.

National school walkouts against gun violence have been scheduled for March 14 and March 20, and a Washington, D.C. demonstration called March for Our Lives is scheduled for March 24, with an anticipated turnout of 500,000 people, according to The Washington Post.

SU and the other universities that have announced their admissions process will not be influenced by participation in peaceful protests should stand by these statements moving ahead.

Participation in existing movements, including Black Lives Matter and #MeToo, and future movements should be protected by universities, which have the responsibility to ensure that all civil protests — regardless of the topic matter — are respected within the realm of free speech.

It’s only right for SU, whose communications school brandishes the First Amendment on the side of its building, to ensure its applicants and students are not punished or silenced for speaking out.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email [email protected].