Track and Field

Syracuse men place 4th in ACC Indoor Championships while Justyn Knight wins 3000-meter race

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Justyn Knight finished first and Aidan Tooker finished second in the 3000-meter race today. Both ran Sweet Road in the fall as a cross country workout, pictured here.

Despite more medal-winning performances on Saturday, the Syracuse men still could not crack the top three in the final standings, placing fourth in the ACC Indoor Championships with 62 points. Syracuse’s women’s team missed out on the top 10, placing 11th with 27.5 points. Florida State took home the title on both sides with 111 points from the men and 91 from the women.

Justyn Knight won his 10th individual and 15th overall ACC title by snatching the Orange’s lone gold medal on the day with an 8:02.57 time in the men’s 3000-meter run. Aidan Tooker finished right behind him to win silver, while Iliass Aouani placed fifth and Kevin James placed ninth.

On the women’s side of the 3000-meter run, Syracuse also earned a medal as Paige Stoner earned the bronze with a time of 9:19.10. Shannon Malone finished not far behind her in fifth.

In the men’s 60-meter hurdles final, Matt Moore won the silver medal with a personal best time of 7.74 seconds. David Gilstrap placed fourth for the Orange and Richard Floyd placed sixth. Angelo Goss, Syracuse’s fourth runner in the final, did not finish with a time as he was disqualified.

Elsewhere, Tia Thevenin placed fifth in the women’s 60-meter hurdles final with a time of 8.318 and the women’s 4×400-meter relay team of Alexis Harper, Tia Thevenin, Danielle Delgado and Kadejhia Sellers placed eighth with a time of 3:42.99.

Syracuse will next be in action March 3 for the ECAC/IC4A Championships at Boston University.