Ice Hockey

Syracuse lights up Rochester Institute of Technology, 6-0

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

The Orange next heads to Lindenwood for a weekend series.

Syracuse (11-17-2, 10-5-1 College Hockey America) dominated Rochester Institute of Technology (4-23-3, 1-15-0 CHA) on Saturday, 6-0. It was also a historic game for the Syracuse record books, as senior Stephanie Grossi broke the all-time SU scoring record with a second-period assist, her 113th career point.

Edith D’Astous-Moreau received her fourth career start in goal and didn’t disappoint, tallying a career-high 38 saves en route to the shutout.

After scoring three goals in the first period on Friday, Syracuse had much less success in the opening stanza on Saturday.

Freshman Victoria Klimek put the Orange on board first with her eighth goal of the season and second in as many days, but that was all SU got going in the period offensively. Despite the slower start on offense, the Orange held onto its lead thanks to 17 first-period saves by D’Astous-Moreau, another career-high.

It was the second period in which Syracuse blew the game open, scoring a season-best five goals in the period. Alysha Burriss kept her hot streak going after tallying three points on Friday, scoring unassisted a minute out of intermission to put the Orange up two. Almost six minutes later SU was celebrating again, this time thanks to a goal by sophomore Savannah Rennie off Grossi’s record-breaking assist.

Two freshmen were next to hop aboard the Syracuse scoring train, as Taylor Curtis’ first career goal and Emma Polaski’s score nine seconds later ballooned the SU lead to five. With three minutes left Rennie scored her second goal of the day and entering the final period, the Orange’s lead was 6-0.

With the game already in hand, Syracuse eased off the gas pedal and the teams went scoreless in the third period, capping off a weekend in which SU outscored RIT 13-1.

Fresh off its best weekend of the season, Syracuse will travel to St. Charles, Missouri, next week to play the Lindenwood Lions. The series marks SU’s first games outside the states of New York or Pennsylvania since Sept. 30. The Orange split its series with the Lions earlier this season, winning the first game 4-1 and dropping the second, 2-0.