SUNY-ESF

SUNY-ESF President Quentin Wheeler responds to student government resolution

The Undergraduate Student Association resolution earlier this month came after a renewal of tensions between faculty and administration at SUNY-ESF.

SUNY-ESF President Quentin Wheeler said the administration is working on sending out regular executive updates and publishing online updates of major academic plans in response to a student resolution passed two weeks ago.

In an email to Undergraduate Student Association President Ben Taylor on Thursday, Wheeler clarified his vision for the university and said the administration will be sending biweekly executive updates, including social media notifications, for significant announcements.

The USA resolution, which was overwhelmingly passed by the organization in early February, in part called for the administration to clarify its vision and increase communication with the SUNY-ESF community.

Wheeler said his vision for SUNY-ESF is to “be more widely recognized as a leader among environmental colleges for the 21st century,” which was stated in his “state of the college” address Thursday morning.

The USA resolution also expressed frustration in the administration’s communication, stating that students have had to rely on unofficial SUNY-ESF social media pages and student government leaders to explain the administration’s actions.

Wheeler said his administration has increased their presence on campus and will “accelerate” this activity by appearing at more student scheduled events. Additionally, he and Provost and Executive Vice President Nosa Egiebor will be “present in Gateway for informal discussions with students on a more routine basis.”

In response to concerns raised over the Vision 2020 Update and Pursuit of Excellence Plan — two major university initiatives — Wheeler said the administration is looking at creating running update columns or tallies, possibly to be published online.

At the “state of the college” address, Wheeler said SUNY-ESF is working to increase the student population to increase the university’s revenue and combat an ongoing budget deficit and decreases in state aid. He acknowledged that this enrollment increasement plan has not been previously communicated clearly, which USA members noted in their resolution.

Wheeler said Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Joseph Rufo presented a summary of this enrollment plan to the Board of Trustees meeting on Wednesday, and that he is willing to make a similar presentation for students.

The Board of Trustees also promised to more closely follow the administration’s actions after the university’s Academic Governance body and USA both passed resolutions. Board of Trustees Chairman Matthew Marko’s response to the resolutions are being posted online, Wheeler said.

The turmoil surrounding January department chair dismissals and other issues follows previous tension between SUNY-ESF faculty and administration. In Nov. 2016, SUNY-ESF faculty passed a vote of no confidence in Wheeler, expressing frustration in the president’s leadership style and citing a climate of fear.