To slow down No. 4 Louisville, Syracuse will need to slow down the Cardinals scoring duo

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Syracuse will need to stop Asia Durr and Myisha Hines-Allen to knock out Louisville Sunday. Said Gabrielle Cooper: "If we shut them down, we cut the head off the dragon."

Gabrielle Cooper knows what it will take to topple Louisville: Stop Myisha Hines-Allen and Asia Durr.

The dynamic duo averages 34 points per game, nearly 43 percent of the Cardinals’ offense, and has powered No. 4 UofL (23-1, 9-1 Atlantic Coast) to a one-loss record. This Sunday, they pose the biggest threat to Syracuse (17-6, 5-5) dropping two-in-a-row at home for the first time in six years, back when the Orange was part of the Big East.

“They do a good job of making their team better,” Cooper said. “They do so much more than what the stats may see … If we shut them down, we cut the head off the dragon.”

In order for Syracuse to win its biggest home game of the year, it will need to key in on Hines-Allen and Durr, Louisville’s star pairing that outmatches Syracuse’s scoring duo of Tiana Mangakahia and Miranda Drummond.

Louisville enters the contest with one of the best 3-point shooting offenses in the country. Its 39.0-percent clip from behind the arc is the 11th best in the country and second-best in the conference. The success from behind the arc is mostly because of Durr’s excellence.

Durr, a 5-foot-10 junior guard, hits on 46.1 percent of her 3s and paces UofL with 19.7 points per game. Yet, SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said the Orange won’t deviate from its typical gameplan on Sunday, even for a player he regarded as “top two or three scorer in the country.”

In the Cardinals’ lone loss of the season against Florida State, a 50-49 nailbiter in the KFC Yum! Center, Durr shot 5-for-21 from the field and 1-for-8 from 3. That performance came in the midst of a 2-for-16 shooting slump from 3 in which she scored 27 points, her lowest three-game total this season. In Louisville’s last two games, both victories, she has gotten back on track. Durr has made four 3s and scored 47 points.

“I have no idea what Florida State did,” Hillsman said. “We’re going to play how we play. When you start doing not what you do, it hurts your team.”

The last time Syracuse matched up against an elite 3-point shooter was when it faced Taylor Emery, a 41-percent shooter, and Virginia Tech this past Thursday. Throughout the game, SU bracketed Emery whenever the ball was near her. The junior guard still slipped Orange defenders a few times and made two 3s.

Whenever she found space, the SU bench hollered “Shooter,” and Hillsman called out defenders by name to pay attention. Syracuse’s 3-point defense was serviceable in the second half against Virginia Tech, but that led to other issues.

“We have to bang inside,” Cooper said. “… If we limit their points, keep Asia off the line, keep Myisha off the glass and we should be fine.”

Hines-Allen, a 6-foot-2 senior, averages a double-double and operates primarily in the paint and the ability to exploit one of SU’s biggest problems in conference play. UofL has scored 34 points in the paint in each of its last three games and hasn’t been out-rebounded since its loss to FSU.

Poor rebounding limited Syracuse in its recent three-game losing streak and interior defense was what prevented a late comeback in the 73-64 loss against Virginia Tech.

“I don’t think a loss hurts you going into Louisville,” Hillsman said after Thursday’s game. “… The only thing we can do is come out and be better prepared on Sunday.”

After dominating non-conference play, SU has been erratic. Hillsman pointed out that his team has no bad losses, but aside from a 76-69 home upset of then-No. 8 Florida State on Jan. 7, it has no standout wins, either.

Last year, Syracuse was in a similar position to earn a statement win against a top-ranked team on its home floor. The Orange welcomed then-No.7 Notre Dame, in front of the biggest crowd in program history, and was defeated.

This Sunday, SU gets another chance.