Anarchy column

New Democratic Socialists of America chapter expands leftist Syracuse

Casey Russell | Senior Staff Writer

UPDATED: Feb. 14, 2018 at 11:30 p.m.

The largest and fastest-growing socialist organization in the United States has come to Syracuse, speaking to the emerging consensus that capitalism isn’t an effective or humane way of organizing a society.

Some reject capitalism and an oppressive government by ignoring them and living their lives outside their pull. The Democratic Socialists of America, on the other hand, favor mediating the relationship between capitalism and the government to make each more bearable and work toward a more equitable future.

Since President Donald Trump’s inauguration, the DSA’s membership has ballooned from about 6,000 to more than 32,000, with branches in 48 states. Much of that popularity can be attributed to the rise of Bernie Sanders, who identifies as a democratic socialist.

Democratic socialism is defined in its belief that socialist tenets — like worker ownership, control of the workplace and direct democracy — can be achieved through the electoral system. DSA itself isn’t a political party, though. The group does direct activism to make people’s lives physically better, organizes public demonstrations and assists candidates from official parties they endorse.

While I don’t necessarily agree with the DSA-majority perspective that socialism can be achieved through the electoral process, the real measurable work DSA activists are doing to improve people’s lives is incredibly important, and I stand in solidarity with their work.

Matt Huber, a geography professor at Syracuse University and a founding member of Syracuse’s DSA, argues that a democratic socialist policy platform is becoming clearer and more influential.

“It’s becoming clear, this kind of Bernie-esque platform: Medicare for All, free college, simple things that would solve so many problems and that people can understand and see how they benefit their lives,” Huber said.

When not working with candidates for office, the DSA puts its progressive worldview into action in other ways, such as directly advocating for Medicare for All. Huber said the DSA decided in August to commit to a national Medicare for All campaign. On a more local level, the DSA is focusing on the Campaign for New York Health, he said.

The Campaign for New York Health is a pre-existing statewide Medicare for All ballot initiative. Jeanette Zoeckler, another founding member of Syracuse DSA and director of research and special projects at the Occupational Health Clinical Center, supports Medicare for All and has been working on the issue locally since before Syracuse DSA’s founding.

“For three years it’s my understanding that they have been successful in getting the New York Health Act through the assembly in the state, but that there are a few more senators that would need to be swayed across the state in order to have it pass,” Zoeckler said.

The DSA’s extra bit of organizing can be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. Syracuse DSA is in preliminary talks to partner with existing organizations and efforts to provide more services to those in need. Huber, Zoeckler and other members of Syracuse DSA said they’re excited to hash out local goals, positions and strategies.

Whether or not the DSA can bring about broad revolutionary change in America, the Syracuse chapter will be sure to bring grassroots solutions to local problems.

Sam Norton is a senior advertising and psychology dual major. He can be reached at [email protected].

If you’re interested in attending a DSA meeting, there is a socializing with socialists event at Recess Coffee on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Matt Huber’s teaching field was misstated. Huber is a professor of geography. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the Occupational Health Clinical Center was misnamed. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the Occupational Health Clinical Center’s university affiliation was misstated. The center is affiliated with SUNY Upstate Medical University. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the Campaign for New York Health initiative was misnamed. The Daily Orange regrets this error.