Women's Lacrosse

Morgan Widner to undergo surgery after MRI reveals torn ACL, meniscus in right knee

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Morgan Widner went down late in the first half on Thursday against Albany and immediately grabbed her right knee.

Syracuse sophomore draw-control specialist Morgan Widner underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed a torn ACL and meniscus in her right knee. The details were confirmed via a text message from Jill Widner, Morgan’s mother, to The Daily Orange.

Once the swelling in Widner’s knee goes down, she’ll undergo surgery, and the initial hope is a return by fall, Jill said via text.

Widner went down late in the first half as No. 5 Syracuse (3-0) played Albany on Thursday. The draw specialist was pursuing the ball and fell to the ground without any contact. She immediately held her right knee and was audibly in pain. After remaining on the ground for a few minutes, Widner left the field with the assistance of trainers, putting no weight on her right leg. Widner navigated to and from the locker room on crutches for the remainder of Friday evening.

Widner’s absence has a major effect on what Syracuse can do on the draw for the rest of the season. The Coppell, Texas native won 156 draws last year, the most by a freshman in SU history.

Julie Cross, a 6-foot-1 junior, took the remainder of the draws against Albany and presumably will be the full-time draw taker for the foreseeable future.