Theater

Landmark Theatre celebrates 90 years of entertainment in Syracuse

Courtesy of The Landmark Theatre

The Landmark Theatre is celebrating its 90th anniversary with an event that offers tours of the venue and a film screening.

A few decades ago, the grandest theater for entertainment on Salina Street in Syracuse was slated for demolition. Now, that same venue just had one of its most successful years, attracting thousands of audience members for hits like “Wicked” and “The Lion King.”

The Landmark Theatre’s 90th anniversary celebration is Monday at 6 p.m. The event will offer tours of the venue and a free screening of “West Point.” The film, which was released in 1927, was the first movie shown at the theater.

“We wanted to harken back as much as possible to what it was like when the theater opened,” said Mike Intaglietta, executive director at the Landmark.

The theater opened on Feb. 18, 1928, as Loew’s State Theatre. Hundreds of people came to opening day to experience the building’s grandeur for a 25-cent admission.

Designed by architect Thomas Lamb, the theater boasted a wealth of tapestries, carvings and chandeliers. Lamb had already worked on other movie houses in Syracuse: the Strand, Keith’s and Temple, none of which are still in operation.

Robert Searing, curator of history at the Onondaga Historical Association, said the building’s exquisite architecture and opulent stylings make this theater unique from modern venues.

“I think for those of us living now, it’s almost like a time machine — a way to go back,” Searing said. “If you go to Destiny to watch a movie, it’s just a big box; there’s no character.”

The theater thrived during the Great Depression. Comedic movies and 1930s epics allowed people to escape reality for a reasonable price, Searing said.

Trouble began after WWII when both the city of Syracuse and federal tax rates went up. Searing believes changes in consumer culture with the invention of television may have also played a role in the financial struggle, as people were now able to access entertainment within their homes.

theater

Kevin Camelo | Digital Design Editor

After years of difficulty, Loew’s was threatened for demolition in the 1970s. In an effort to save the theater, community members formed the Citizen’s Committee to Save Loew’s.

The effort was short-lived — the theater closed a day after the committee was formed in 1975.

It was revived a couple months later when the Syracuse Area Landmark Theatre acquired the property with help from the city of Syracuse. Volunteers assisted with renovations to get the venue back in shape for hosting stage events.

Tony Bennett, Lena Horne and Bob Dylan were among the performers who took the Landmark stage in the 1980s. Since then, the venue has seen dozens of Broadway tours, comedians and other national-level acts.

In 2011, the Landmark renovated the stage area to meet the technical requirements of larger Broadway touring productions. Everything behind the proscenium is new, but the rest of the theater still reflects the 1920s luxury design.

“From an audience perspective, probably the biggest draw is the nostalgia that people feel,” Intaglietta said. “It’s really got a warm place in the hearts of a lot of residents here.”

The retro architecture has its challenges for the theater to consider moving forward: the seating is not as accessible for patrons with disabilities as modern theaters.

Starr Guckert, advocacy coordinator at Aurora of CNY, has discussed these issues with the Landmark staff. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines, the theater is supposed to have accessible seating in variously priced sections as well as companion seating, Guckert said.

“(The Landmark) has plans to take out 2,800 seats and put in new seating,” Guckert said, “which would give them the opportunity to comply with what the ADA says about accessible seating in a facility such as theirs.”

Intaglietta recognizes the present design issues. He said the renovations will happen when the theater has the funds to do so, as it is going to be a “sizeable project.”

Said Searing: “I just hope that the community continues to rally to the cause and continues to support the organization … so future generations can continue to enjoy it and be transported back to a long-forgotten era.”