Theater

Hogwarts Express to depart from the Landmark at Symphoria’s upcoming concert

Illustration by Ali Harford | Presentation Director

The Landmark Theatre was chosen to host a live concert accompanying “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone" because of the quality acoustics in the theater.

The magic of the Harry Potter franchise is coming to Syracuse this weekend, when the curtains open on the Landmark Theatre’s stage. As “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” plays on a 40-foot screen, a live orchestra led by Symphoria Syracuse conductor John Beal will play the film’s score, originally written by John Williams.

This event is part of the Harry Potter Film Concert Series, which started with its world premiere in Philadelphia in June 2016. The series is playing in hundreds of venues in more than 30 countries with all different orchestras, said Justin Freer, founder of CineConcerts and producer and conductor of the Harry Potter Film Concert Series.

Danielle Bianco, special events and company manager of the Landmark Theatre, said this concert brings Syracuse a new way to watch the film. The music will surround viewers and include them in the movie as if they were watching it for the first time.

She also said the Landmark was chosen to host the event because of its quality acoustics.

“We have a long tradition of successful performances since when we were built in 1928,” Bianco said. “A symphony worldwide famous like this one wouldn’t sound as good in an arena as it will inside our theater.”

Freer called the Landmark Theatre “one of the last remaining movie palaces which represents the incredible opulence of theaters in the 1920s.”

The 80-plus people playing on the stage in Syracuse are part of the Symphoria orchestra. The nonprofit formed in late 2012 as a musician-led cooperative orchestra, one of the only two in the United States, according to the Symphoria website.

photo01_-_jordan_august_credit

Courtesy of Jordan August

While “Harry Potter” music has been played on other occasions by Symphoria, this is the first time that they are working step-by-step with the movie, said Jon Garland, musician and board member of the Symphoria orchestra.

“The biggest challenge is when you have to do something that has to be the same of something else,” Garland said. “We have a large orchestra and we have to try to line up exactly with the movie and this, of course, doesn’t leave a large margin for error.”

Garland, who is himself a Harry Potter fan, said the orchestra has just two rehearsals before these performances. The musicians are professionals and fully prepared before rehearsals begin, Garland explained, so the rehearsal time is entirely focused on details and coordination with the film.

“From the moment that you first hear Hedwig’s theme played on the glockenspiel to supporting, rustling string lines, John Williams really captures a sense of mystery and wonder throughout the film creating so many magical moments,” Garland said. “From ‘Star Wars’ to ‘ET’ and to ‘Indiana Jones,’ Williams’ music is very cinematic and descriptive and fits the moment in the perfect way.”

There’s nothing like reliving the magic of the film while listening to a symphony orchestra perform the entire score live, Freer said.

“Cheer for your favorite characters, clap at the scenes and music cues you love — it will be something you would never be able to experience on a DVD,” Freer said.

Freer explained that part of the reason this was created was to preserve and present the original, complete and magical film music from one of the most beloved film series in history, focusing on the mixing of the music with the sound effects and dialogues.

“Quality is a top priority,” Freer said.

“Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – In Concert” will take place in at the Landmark Theatre on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 1:00 p.m.