THE DAILY ORANGE

HEAVY HITTERS

Rock Steady Boxing CNY supports people battling Parkinson’s disease

The 65-year old’s right glove thwacks the heavy bag.

“One,” he yells.

Then the left.

“Two!”

Don Miller’s voice is the loudest out of the two rows of boxers. Focused, they chant as they use a combination of jabs to hit their inanimate opponent.

Don’s energy matches his volume, and he counts to 10. His partner is holding the bag, and Don’s energy accidentally sends him back on his heels.

Don has been going to Rock Steady Boxing, a Liverpool gym exclusively for people battling Parkinson’s disease, two to three times per week for the past year. He was diagnosed with early-onset Parkinson’s at 50 years old. As a result, Don has faced symptoms including stiffness and muscle pain for almost two decades.

The gym, a small space nestled within a strip mall on Oswego Street, is a sanctuary where Parkinson’s is a reality for everyone. Members of Rock Steady CNY range from ages 55 to 80 and have various stages of Parkinson’s. While they’re at the gym, they take every fall and every struggle in stride.

Some of the Rock Steady members are hiding their condition from their places of work and their families, in fear of being treated differently due to their diagnosis. Various classes in the morning, afternoon and evening allow people to stop by when it’s convenient for them.

In June 2016, Jeannette Riley, head coach and director of the gym, decided to open an affiliate of the national program Rock Steady Boxing in Liverpool. She was inspired by a segment on “60 Minutes” and decided this was a cause worth investing in.

Don Miller, 65, was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson’s at the age of fifty. He has been going to Rock Steady Boxing classes for over a year. Riley Bunch | Senior Staff Photographer

Riley personally funded the start-up of the program, paying for all the boxing equipment, heavy bags, speed bags and a reflex bag, among other necessary gear, out of pocket.

She immediately recognized the positive effect boxing has on people diagnosed with Parkinson’s. The workouts provided not only a physical benefit, but also a social outlet for members as well – Parkinson’s can be very isolating, she said.

“Parkinson’s doesn’t actually kill you. You have to live with it,” Riley said. “This is giving them encouragement, and it’s boxing, so they feel like they’re fighting against the disease.”

Riley reassures members that if they’re tired, they can feel free to sit out to regain their breath. Newcomers are expected to take at least a month to get up to speed with their classmates.

The gym provides members with an environment where Parkinson’s and its symptoms are inclusionary rather than secluding. Falling to the floor without being punched is not abnormal during class.

To remind people not to be embarrassed, a small sign hanging on the wall reads: “Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.”

The boxers start warming up promptly 10 minutes before each class. They walk around the open room and shadowbox their imaginary opponent while waiting for everyone to arrive. Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the U.S.A.” begins to blast throughout the space as Riley outlines stretches and stations for the day.

Even though attending boxing classes has helped Don better manage his symptoms, he and his wife, Sandy, are now considering deep brain stimulation, a surgery that involves implanting a neurological stimulator into the brain that reduces Parkinson’s symptoms. In Don’s case, the procedure would help loosen his muscles. The surgery, Don hopes, will also significantly reduce his medication intake.

Throughout his diagnosis, Don says boxing is one medicine he can rely on.

“It has given me a stronger core and better balance,” Don said. “I’m steadier on my feet. And the camaraderie is so important. There is a lot of support.”

Often times people diagnosed with Parkinson’s wear medical bracelets identifying their condition. Riley Bunch | Senior Staff Photographer

During the classes, Sandy, who makes the 45-minute drive to every class from their home in Oswego, sits off to the side of the room. The couple dated while attending Oswego High School and have been married for 44 years. She watches Don’s movements and cautions him to take it easy so he’s not as tired when he leaves.

“You’re crazy,” Don joked during a class a few weeks ago. “I kept the same rhythm as Russ!”

Sandy shook her head and smiled.

“Why do I even try?” she chuckled to herself.

Two weeks ago, Don’s doctor determined he was an ideal candidate for deep brain stimulation. Don said he’s not nervous for the surgery, scheduled for March 5.

“Hopefully it will make me feel more like a normal person,” he said.

In the meantime, some of his friends make him feel that way now, if only for moments. Don’s boxing group includes 68-year-old Tom Kenah and 69-year-old Russ Harrold.

Kenah, a yearlong member, sports a gray T-shirt that reads: “I am Rock Steady.” Harrold, a newcomer, wears a green T-shirt with bold lettering that reads: “My best friends are Parkies.”

The news of his 2016 diagnosis shocked Kenah, who had no family history of Parkinson’s. Kenah, who ran in high school and college, said he couldn’t drive his car for six months after his diagnosis.

“(Boxing) is the best way to deal with Parkinson’s,” Kenah said. “It’s the best medicine.”

Because of the improvements in his condition since Rock Steady, Kenah recently purchased an 80-pound boxing bag and speed bag for the gym in his house.

Head coach Jeannette Riley personally funded the start-up of Rock Steady Boxing CNY two years ago. Riley Bunch | Senior Staff Photographer

At the gym, Riley instructed the class to the floor for stretching.

“Man, if I get down, I might not get back up,” Harrold said. Several of his classmates laughed and nodded in agreement.

Effortless in lightening the mood, Harrold was quick to make friends with his classmates, including Don. The pair laugh loudly while waiting for instructions in between rotations.

Rotations consist of several exercises from hitting the speed bag to boxer squats. Assistant coach Tom Cook, who joined Rock Steady after his father-in-law was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, helps keep the boxers going throughout the class.

Cook’s voice rings out over the ‘80s ballads: “Boxing position, one, two, one, two, keep it loose.”

“Everyone is tired and sweaty and out of breath when we’re done,” he said. “And that’s how we want it.”