Dom Madonna shines in net, gets assist on game-winner in triple overtime as No. 16 Syracuse downs No. 9 Army, 11-10

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Madonna made big save after big save in Syracuse's overtime thriller with Army.

In double overtime, Syracuse found itself in an eerily similar situation. The Orange was a man down after a push from Kevin Hutchings. As Army worked the ball around, David Symmes streaked into open space and caught a pass.

Last year against Army, Syracuse had completed a comeback only to lose on a game-winner from Symmes. Though SU had not been down a man, Symmes put the nail in the coffin. On Saturday, he had that same opportunity.

Symmes crow-hopped and fired past the outstretched stick of long-stick midfielder Austin Fusco. Goalie Dom Madonna quickly moved his stick low-to-high. The ball hit nylon. But unlike last year, that nylon was not the back of the net. It was Madonna’s stick.

In its closest game of the season, No. 16 Syracuse (2-1) stormed back from a five-goal deficit to down No. 9 Army (3-1), 11-10, in triple overtime. Madonna’s save to effectively kill Army’s man-down was just one of seven for the goalie, who helped the Orange defense hold Army to four second-half goals. But his contribution on the defensive end was partially overshadowed by his offensive contribution: Madonna had the game-winning assist.

Syracuse won the opening faceoff in triple overtime, but the ball had dribbled into SU’s defensive zone. The Orange struggled to get past midfield and successfully clear the ball. As time wound down, Madonna caught a pass and began to look for an outlet pass to push transition. Nothing was there.

“We had a little bit of trouble there on that clearing situation,” SU head coach John Desko said. “We didn’t sub a defenseman out and they were pressuring us. I think Dom felt he had to find somebody open deep.”

As the 30-second timer kept ticking away, Madonna scanned for his options. Then, he found his target. Redshirt senior Ryan Simmons cut behind both Army’s longpole and defensive middie and into open space.

From the 35-yard line, Madonna fired and hit Simmons in stride. He put the ball in the back of the net. The fans clad in Orange erupted and the team charged Simmons. And then there was Madonna, jumping around and screaming from where he let off the pass.

“Heck of a game,” Army head coach Joe Alberici said. “He makes a man-up save and then gets a game-winning assist. You don’t hear about that too often from goalies.”

Syracuse struck first to open the game, a goal six minutes in from Nate Solomon. But then, the offense struggled to maintain possession. SU faceoff specialists Danny Varello and Seth DeLisle won two faceoffs the entire first half, giving Army time to work.

That resulted in a six-goal run by Army and nearly 25 minutes of scoreless ball for Syracuse. Despite Army’s constant attack, SU’s defense remained a strength, much like it was for the first half of last week’s 15-3 blowout loss to then-No. 3 Albany.

And just like last week, Madonna was there to make the stops when Syracuse needed it. Army tallied 17 shots in the first half and dominated possession time. But the Black Knights only mustered six goals — three while man-up.

“Getting a few on you helps you settle in,” Madonna said. “… We had a lot of composure in the second half.”

As he and the defense became more comfortable, Army struggled to replicate its first-half success. It turned the ball over nine times in the second half and scored just four times. Its man-up opportunity in the third quarter ended in a wide shot.

In overtime, Army’s attack began to settle in. In all three extra periods, possessions often ended in a turnover or save by the team’s respective goalies.

With just less than two minutes left in the first overtime, Ted Glesener fired a low shot wide. It looked like Madonna had been able to get a foot near or on the ball, but Army retained possession. Thirty seconds later, Symmes took possession and fired his sixth shot of the game. Madonna made the save, keeping the Orange’s hopes at a comeback win intact.

Then, in double overtime, Symmes found himself open. And again, Madonna was able to make the stop.

“He’s been making all the saves he should and a few that he shouldn’t,” Desko said.

On Saturday, Symmes’ shot was arguably one that he shouldn’t have. Syracuse was man-down and Symmes had a wide-open look on net. But Madonna was quick enough to make the stop.

And then not two-and-a-half minutes later, Madonna rifled the game-winning pass to Simmons.

“Not only did we ask him to make all the saves, but he had to get the assist on the game-winning goal,” Desko said.