Activists deliver Rep. Katko a check for ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ at gun control protest

Ally Moreo | Senior Photographer

A protestor holds a check for “Thoughts and Prayers”.

Protesters delivered a check for “Thoughts and Prayers” to Rep. John Katko’s (R-Camillus) office, worth zero dollars, because “that is the only thing he’s been able to offer in lieu of action on gun violence,” protester Donna Oppedisano said.

About 20 people gathered in front of Katko’s office in downtown Syracuse on Wednesday, carrying signs and the giant check to protest Katko’s resistance to some gun restrictions after a teenager shot and killed 17 people on Valentine’s Day at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

William Happy, a representative for Swingleft.org, a left-leaning nonprofit organization, coordinated the protest as part of a week-long demonstration against Katko. There was also a protest on Tuesday and there will be another Thursday outside of Katko’s office. The Tuesday protest had about half the turnout of Wednesday’s, he said.

Protesters on Wednesday chanted, “What do we want? Gun control! When do we want it? Now!” and “Katko must go!” One rally attendee called Katko’s office, asking if they could come up to the space along South Warren Street to deliver the check.

The congressman’s staff did not allow the protesters into Katko’s office, and he wasn’t there. But they allowed the demonstrators to stay in the waiting room, said Oppedisano, one of two protesters invited to the office.

The protesters gave Katko’s representatives the check, aired their grievances and left, she said.

Kitty Burns, a resident of Otisco, attended the protest as a member of both CNY Solidarity Coalition — a regional activist organization — and Flip 24, a group intent on electing a Democrat to the 24th Congressional District, which Katko currently represents.

“I think (Katko) is a really dangerous person,” Burns said. “He says he’s a moderate, but he’s not a moderate. All of these conservative people are destroying our country, and that’s why I’m here.”

Burns also said she came to the protest to denounce Katko’s A rating with the National Rifle Association. Katko was given a top rating and an endorsement from the NRA in 2014, when he was running against Democrat Dan Maffei, according to Syracuse.com. He was also endorsed by the Shooters Committee on Political Education during his 2014 campaign.

Katko co-sponsored the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, which would allow gun owners with concealed-carry permits to carry their guns in other states that may have tighter firearm laws. The bill has only passed the House of Representatives.

“It’s horrendous. This is unbelievable — what’s happening in this country,” Burns said of Katko’s support of the bill.

Sara Brandt-Doelle, another protester, said she attended the rally because guns are too easily available. She said even though she shouldn’t be able to buy a gun, she would probably be able to purchase one.

She carried an “Everytown for Gun Safety” sign, a group formed after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School that left 20 children and six adults dead in 2012.

Brandt-Doelle brought her three children to the rally. Other children skipped along the downtown sidewalk carrying signs reading “#shameonkatko.”

Elaine Denton, a protester, also brought two of her three children to the rally. Denton said she came as a volunteer for Moms Demand Action, an organization that demands action from legislators to strengthen gun control.

“Every day I put them on that bus, every day, I’m petrified that they won’t come back to me,” Denton said.

A staff member for Le Moyne College also attended the rally. Lynn Kasper, an art administrator at Le Moyne, said she strongly opposed Katko’s support of the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act.

“We are in desperate need of serious changes around our gun laws,” Caroline Sheffield, a protester added. “I’m a constituent of this shameful man.”