STUDENT ASSOCIATION

6 assembly members elected Monday night

Colleen Cambier | Contributing Photographer

Syracuse University's Student Association voted in six new assembly members at its Monday night meeting.

Syracuse University’s Student Association on Monday elected six new assembly members, including two from SUNY-ESF.

The organization elected one representative from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, one from the College of Engineering and Computer Science, two from the College of Arts and Sciences and two from SUNY-ESF.

Bernie Kellman, a sophomore broadcast and digital journalism and information management and technology dual major, will represent Newhouse. He said one of his interests is working with SU’s Department of Public Safety on their drug and alcohol policies.

Eduardo Gomez, a sophomore economics major, and Alexander Keegan, a freshman political science and economics double major, were elected as representatives from the College of Arts and Sciences.

Gomez said he wants to focus on diversity, adding that he hoped to be a voice for minorities on campus. He said he wanted to work with diversity affairs, and hopes to participate in more community engagement in Syracuse.

Keegan said he hopes to be part of the student life committee and is interested in serving the community. Specifically, Keegan said he wanted to create more gender-neutral and family bathrooms on campus to accommodate the transgender community because he has a family member that is a part of the LGBTQ community.

The two SUNY-ESF positions are being filled: one by fourth-year Megan Gorss, a natural resources management major, and the other by sophomore James Quinn.

Gorss said she hopes to focus on sex positivity and wants to make sure SUNY-ESF students are more aware of SU initiatives.

“I’m most excited about being involved in a committee, specifically being involved in the health and wellness subcommittee because of the involvement with sexual health,” Gorss said.

Quinn was previously the liaison between SUNY-ESF’s Undergraduate Student Association and SA. He plans to focus on diversity in his new position, he said.

Junior Brooke Lynn Waldon, a biomedical engineering major, will fill one of the College of Arts and Sciences’ representative positions. Waldon said she is very passionate about SA and went on the organization’s hurricane relief trip to Puerto Rico during winter break.

Other business

SA is working on improving the cycle-share program launched by the organization last year. Vice President Angie Pati said she has been working to expand and sustain the program.

Pati said the cycles were largely utilized during the summer and the city of Syracuse is also working on a bike-share program. SU’s cycle share program includes two adaptable cycles, not just bicycles.