Speakers

5 things to know about actress and social activist Yara Shahidi

Courtesy of ABC

Yara Shahidi, known for her role in "Black-ish," will visit Syracuse University as part of "Cuse for Good: Social Justice."

Yara Shahidi is coming to Syracuse University as part of the “Cuse for Good: Social Justice” event taking place later this month. University Union, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and Student Association are sponsoring the two-part event, which will consist of a panel and a concert.

Shahidi will be on the panel along with hip-hop artist Joey Bada$$, Bandier Program Director Bill Werde and Student Association Vice President Angie Pati. The concert, headlined by Joey Bada$$, will also feature SU student performers: Phil the Artist, DJ Zel and The Outlaws.

The event will take place at Goldstein Auditorium in the Schine Student Center. Tickets go on sale Monday at the Schine Box Office, and all ticket sale proceeds will be donated to three Syracuse City Schools: Fowler High School, Grant Middle School and Van Duyn Elementary School.

Here are five things to know about the actress and social activist:

1. She acts on the TV show “Black-ish”

Shahidi plays Zoe Johnson, the oldest child in the TV show’s family. For her role in the sitcom, Shahidi was nominated for a Teen Choice Award and won a NAACP Image Award.

2. She’s younger than virtually everyone at SU

Shahidi is 17 years old. She graduated high school in June 2017 and is currently taking a gap year but will start at Harvard University in the fall. She plans to double major in sociology and African-American studies.

3. She’s a social activist

When she’s not filming “Black-ish,” Shahidi volunteers at medical clinics and started Yara’s Club, her own mentoring organization with the Young Women’s Leadership Network. She has also been featured on panels advocating for young women to go into STEM fields.

4. Michelle Obama wrote her college recommendation letter

Let Girls Learn, Obama’s education initiative, is how the two first met. Shahidi also had the chance to interact with Obama when she was a part of the White House Science Fair and on International Day of the Girl, when they Skyped girls from around the world.

5. She’s biracial

Shahidi’s mother, an actress, is African-American, and her father, a cinematographer, is from Iran. She’s learning how to read, write and speak Persian and has previously referred to herself as being “black-ish.”