Softball

5 different players score as Syracuse beats Southern Mississippi, 8-3

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Sophomore Alexa Romero got the start for SU in the circle.

Syracuse (2-1) beat Southern Mississippi (0-4), 8-3, on Sunday morning at the Tiger Classic in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The Orange was supposed to face Massachusetts for a second time this weekend, but after Saturday’s slate of games was rained out, Southern Mississippi replaced the Minutemen.

Five SU players crossed home plate over the course of the game, starting with Alicia Hansen. The second batter of the game, Hansen tripled then scored on a wild pitch. She scored again at the end of the sixth, driven in by a Toni Martin double. Bryce Holmgren also scored on the play.

Holmgren and Gabby Teran also finished the game with two runs apiece. Teran’s first run, thanks to Holmgren’s double in the third inning, was her first career run at SU. Sammy Fernandez and Hannah Dossett each scored one run as well.

Alexa Romero started in the circle for the Orange, pitching for a little more than five innings and striking out eight batters. She let up one run in the sixth inning before she was pulled from the game for senior AnnaMarie Gatti.

Gatti faced two batters and let up two runs before she was pulled for freshman Miranda Hearn. Hearn pitched an inning and two-thirds with a walk and a strikeout to close out the game.

SU will travel to Palm Springs, California, next weekend to participate in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic. The Orange starts the weekend against Utah.