Ice Hockey

Syracuse topples Penn State, 3-2 in overtime, courtesy of Megan Quinn’s winner

Phil Bryant | Staff Photographer

Megan Quinn scored the winner three minutes into overtime to give Syracuse a much-needed win.

Syracuse (7-14-2, 6-4-1 CHA) began a two-game series with conference foe Penn State (6-10-8, 3-4-4 CHA) in University Park, Pennsylvania, on Friday. After failing to protect a two-goal lead in the third period, the Orange netted a goal three minutes into overtime, defeating Penn State 3-2.

SU was outshot by four in the scoreless first period, but the Orange rebounded with 17 shots and two goals in the second. Freshman defender Jessica DiGirolamo’s goal — her second of the season — with just over seven minutes remaining in the period provided Syracuse with a one-goal lead. Exactly three minutes later, DiGirolamo assisted fellow freshman Emma Polaski and the visitors held a two-goal lead at the second intermission.

Yet, six minutes into the third, PSU struck back via junior forward Meike Meilleur. Then, her second goal of the game pulled the Nittany Lions level with only five minutes remaining, even though the Orange outshot PSU by three in the period.

Still, SU collected the winner three minutes into overtime. Senior defender Megan Quinn’s second score of the season gave SU a road win against its conference rival.

Syracuse recorded 38 shots for the game and senior goaltender Abbey Miller held PSU to two goals on 31 shots, accumulating 29 saves on the day.

The Orange currently sit in third place in the CHA. It now leads Penn State by three points, but still trails conference-leader Robert Morris by five points.