Student Association president: Euclid Shuttle service to start Thursday

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

The Euclid Shuttle will be funded by Invest Syracuse, a $100 million fundraising campaign through SU.

The Euclid Shuttle, a new student transportation service for late-night rides in the Syracuse University Hill neighborhood, will officially launch on Thursday.

James Franco, the university’s Student Association president, on Wednesday said the shuttle will start making runs Thursday night. An SU ID will be required to board.

“We are excited about that kicking off in the first week of the semester,” said Franco, who has advertised the shuttle as a way to improve off-campus student safety.

The bus will provide students living in Sadler Hall, Lawrinson Hall and the Brewster/Boland/Brockway Complex direct transportation to Lancaster Avenue, Stratford Street and Westcott Street.

Franco has said the bus will only make runs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. The shuttle, a Birnie Bus, will make 10 runs of its route every night between 10:30 p.m. and 3:25 a.m., according to a map of the route posted to Syracuse University’s Parking and Transit Services website.

Most shuttle stops are in the Euclid neighborhood and northern sections of Main Campus. One stop is also on Madison Street.

According to the map, the Euclid shuttle will make a stop at Lyman Hall on Main Campus at 10:30 p.m. before heading toward the Carrier Dome. The bus will circle campus on Irving Avenue before cutting east on Waverly Avenue, near Crouse-Hinds Hall.

Eventually the bus will head north down Walnut Avenue, where several fraternities and sororities are located, then cut east again on Madison Street. The shuttle will then head south on Ostrom Avenue toward Euclid Avenue.

“We wanted to … bring all of the neighborhoods together to make a more unified campus,” said SA Vice President Angie Pati on Wednesday.

Nine stops are currently listed on the Parking and Transit Services website. But Franco on Wednesday said another stop will be added to the bus route at the intersection of Euclid Avenue and Livingston Avenue.

The shuttle will be financed by the Invest Syracuse initiative, a $100 million fundraising plan that aims to support academic changes on campus.

Chancellor Kent Syverud on Tuesday, in a speech at the Life Sciences Complex, said the Euclid Shuttle is being piloted. Syverud met with SA to discuss the shuttle, Franco said Tuesday. Franco made the promise of establishing a Euclid Shuttle a central component of his successful SA presidential campaign last spring.

“It should, at its best — and we will monitor it closely — provide frequent and reliable transportation,” Syverud said.

The current list of Euclid Shuttle stops on the Parking and Transit Services website are below:

• College Place at Lyman Hall
  • Intersection of East Raynor Avenue and Irving Avenue
  • Intersection of Irving Avenue and Waverly Avenue
  • Intersection of East Adams Street and Walnut Avenue
  • Intersection of Comstock Avenue and Madison Street
  • Intersection of Euclid Avenue and Livingston Avenue
  • Intersection of Euclid Avenue and Lancaster Avenue
  • Intersection of Westcott Street and Jerome Street
  • Intersection of Stratford Street and Ostrom Avenue