Student Life Column

The D.O.’s new Student Life columnist reintroduces herself to her old stomping grounds

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

Classes are back in full swing, and so is your favorite Student Life columnist.

If you’re a real fan, you’ll know that I was a Student Life columnist during the spring 2016 semester, my freshman year. If you’re just joining the bandwagon, welcome!

Now that I’m older, wiser and much more educated on things like students and life, I’m incredibly excited to come back and write about everything under the ‘Cuse sun. I chose to write this particular column again because it has such a broad reach, deals with current issues directly impacting the student community and because I may or may not be a narcissist and want everyone to read my work.

But in all seriousness, writing about our shared college experiences helps me feel more connected to other students. When we’re living in an SU bubble, it’s easy to get lost in our own lives and forget about things happening to other members of the greater Syracuse community.

This column analyzes any news relating to university students and higher education, and it affects practically everyone who walks our fine promenade. Whether you’re a freshman or graduate student, Syracuse local or California native, liberal or conservative, the Student Life column is for everyone who bleeds orange.

My goal for this semester is to write about topics that are relevant to the average student, including SU policies, campus activism, student loans, diversity and maybe even the mumps 2.0. I’m not an expert on these issues, but I am a student, just like you. And when it comes to issues affecting even one student, it’s important we’re all aware and proactive. If you don’t trust just my take, I’ll always reach out to the real experts to make sure you’re getting the best advice your tuition hikes can buy.

After time away from campus that included studying abroad in Sydney, Australia and interning at a news station in Albany, I’m excited and energized to be back in our orange oasis. With the spring semester back in session, there are so many important issues to talk about, and I hope you’ll follow me on the journey.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy the Opinion section this semester. Hopefully, my column will inform you on important happenings on college campuses across the country and provide social commentary on student life. Along with a bit of humor, of course.

Because no matter how far you travel or how much time has passed, one thing rings true: Once an orange, always an orange.

Rashika Jaipuriar is a junior broadcast and digital journalism and civic engagement dual major. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @rashikajpr.