From The Kitchen

Customer cravings become masterpiece treats at Picasso’s Pastries and Cafe

Jessica Sheldon / The Daily Orange

Picasso's Pastries and Cafe has seasonal desserts on the menu, including stuffed croissants topped with an orange glaze. Picasso's relies on customer feedback to decide what to make more or less of.

Picasso’s Pastries and Cafe is known in the Syracuse area for its handcrafted treats and drinks. New menu additions are in store for the cafe as central New York heads into its coldest time of year.

Owner David Zaczynski described some of the sweet and savory foods that customers can soon purchase at the Westcott Street storefront.

“Right now, we are going to start doing carrot and braised stuffed croissants. They’re going to be stuffed with sage and topped with an orange glaze.” he said. “We also just started making cannolis and French macaroons.”

These and other menu items are born when staffers engage with customers, learning what new menu items would make them want to come back. And at Picasso’s, servers who spend time with their customers makes all the difference to those who frequent the cafe.

012118_ftk_sheldon_ssf-55-1

Jessica Sheldon | Senior Staff Photographer

Zaczynski said croissants are a favorite.

“We have been making croissants here from scratch for a long time, and it has been our biggest seller,” Zaczynski said. “The croissants are really what people know us for, and we always make them with love.”

Known for this particular item, Picasso’s has been exploring new ways to make croissants even more desirable by taking customer feedback into account when expanding their menu. The restaurant listens to the responses customers give, he said.

Sometimes, this feedback means the cafe will make more of that item on a regular basis. Other times, a customer will suggest they don’t make the item again, he said with a laugh.

“We like the bohemian vibe here where we can make something weird or off-the-wall and people will at least try it,” Zaczynski said. “That’s how a lot of our recipes are born.”

012118_ftk_sheldon_ssf-7

It makes Zaczynski smile to see his customers smiling and happy. Servers have bonded with those who frequent Picasso’s too.

“I really connect with the customers to the point where I know who my regulars are,” said Mitch Hendrix, a server. “It really has been a pleasure to serve the community these last two years.”

The cafe sees a lot of SU students, Hendrix said. As an alumnus, he said he chats with them about the hardships of school or what life is like after graduation.

Picasso’s prides itself on its handmade pastries and usage of fresh ingredients with every preparation, Zaczynski said. To the customers, this is noticeable.

“I appreciate when cafes hand make their food,” said Camerin Ortiz, a biology and neuroscience senior “I think it makes the food taste better.”