University Union

5 things to know about actress, comedian and writer Jenny Slate

Courtesy of Amazon Studios

Jenny Slate and Abby Quinn appeared in "LANDLINE," an Amazon Studios release. Slate will headline University Union's Spring Comedy Show.

Jenny Slate, a critically acclaimed actress, writer and comedian, will bring her witty humor to Syracuse University next month.

The comedian will headline University Union’s Spring Comedy Show with fellow comedian Aparna Nancherla as the opening act. Known for her appearances and roles in shows like “Parks and Recreation,” “Girls,” “Bob’s Burgers” and “Saturday Night Live,” Slate will perform at 8 p.m. on Feb. 9. Tickets go on sale at the Schine Box Office and online on Monday, Jan. 22, at 9 a.m. Here are five things to know about the comedian.

1. She’s an accomplished academic

Despite her talent for playing characters with low IQs, Slate is accomplished in the academic field. She graduated from high school as the class president and valedictorian before studying literature at Columbia University.

2. She was a cast member on “SNL”

Though her time at the famous late-night show didn’t last long, Slate was an official cast member for “SNL” during its 2009-10 season.

3. She’s been in 10 episodes of “Parks and Recreation”

Slate first appeared in an episode of “Parks and Recreation” in 2013 as Mona-Lisa Saperstein. Over the next few seasons, Slate would usually be joined by her on-screen twin brother, Jean-Ralphio, who is played by Ben Schwartz.

4. She’s an award-winning actress

In 2014, Slate played Donna Stern, a stand-up comedian who faces major life obstacles including an unplanned pregnancy, in the movie “Obvious Child.” Slate’s role  earned her the Critics’ Choice Award for Best Actress in a Comedy.

5. She’s dating Captain America

Slate and Chris Evans, who plays Captain America in the Marvel franchises, got together in 2016 when they met on the set of “Gifted.” In between then and now the couple briefly split, but they’re reportedly back together as of November 2017.