Syracuse University to hold Pan Am Flight 103 memorial service

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

In 1988, 35 Syracuse University students were killed in the bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland.

A remembrance service to honor the victims of the 1988 Pan Am Flight 103 bombing will be held in Hendricks Chapel next week, Syracuse University announced in a news release on Thursday.

The service, which will be conducted by the deans and chaplains of Hendricks Chapel next Thursday, will include prayers, reflections and a reading of the names of the 35 SU students who died on Pan Am Flight 103.

Service attendees will then walk to the Wall of Remembrance in front of the Hall of Languages, where a memorial statement will be read and the Crouse College chimes will ring 35 times.

The service is held annually on Dec. 21 at 2:03 p.m. — the exact date and time of the bombing.

The bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 killed 270 people, including 35 SU students traveling to the United States after studying abroad.

A memorial service will also take place on Dec. 21 at the Pan Am Flight 103 memorial cairn in Arlington National Cemetery. University representatives and 2017-18 Lockerbie and Remembrance Scholars will attend the Arlington service, according to the release.