Syracuse men’s basketball opponent preview: What to know about Georgetown

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Frank Howard turned the ball over six times in SU's loss to Georgetown last season.

Syracuse takes on former Big East rival Georgetown on Saturday afternoon in the nation’s capital. The Orange (8-1) has not played in a week since escaping with a win over Colgate, while the Hoyas (8-0) have breezed through their weak, nonconference slate. Tipoff between SU and Georgetown is set for 12:30 p.m. from Capital One Arena. The game will air nationally on CBS.

Here’s what you need to know about the Hoyas.

All-time series: Syracuse leads, 49-43

Last time they played: Last December in the Carrier Dome, Georgetown spoiled Pearl Washington Day with a 78-71 victory in front of more than 25,000 fans. Frank Howard scored four points and Tyus Battle added two as the only current SU players to have played in the game. The Orange and Hoyas were even at the break, but Georgetown pulled away in the second half with 45 points on 50 percent shooting from the field.

The Georgetown report: The Hoyas and Orange will match up for the 93rd time since the 1929-30 season in the third edition of the teams’ post-Big East rivalry. Georgetown is one of only six remaining undefeated teams in Division I. The Hoyas play the weakest nonconference schedule in the country, according to Kenpom.com. Patrick Ewing, who torched the Orange as an All-American in the 1980s, is in his first year at the helm of a team that has won its first eight games by a margin of 17.8 points per game.

Jessie Govan, a junior center, leads the team in points and rebounds, while Marcus Derrickson (13.5 points per game) and Kaleb Johnson (12.5 points) also average double digits.

The Hoyas were projected to finish 10th in the Big East at the start of the year, following a second consecutive 18-loss season. That prompted the firing of legendary coach John Thompson III. Six players left along with him, including two due to graduation, two transfers, one to the professional ranks and one due to injury. That makes this a rebuilding year for the Hoyas, though the undefeated record doesn’t indicate that.

Georgetown has thrived through eight games because of a quality frontcourt and strong wing play. But its backcourt has struggled to produce offensively. Battle and Howard possess experience and length at the top that could give Hoyas guards some trouble.

How Syracuse beats Georgetown: The Orange won’t have the size advantage it has had all season. The Hoyas rank fifth in the country in rebounding margin (11.8). Otherwise, Georgetown doesn’t stand out. They remain a relatively typical Hoyas team, based on methodical offense that works the ball inside and out and chews up clock with each possession. Should Syracuse maintain its stronghold inside and improve its perimeter defense — getting freshman forward Bouarama Sidibe back from injury is a good start — the Hoyas may struggle to keep pace.

Stat to know: 20.7

Battle’s 20.7 points per game average ranks second in the ACC. The sophomore guard has failed to reach double digits just once through nine games, his only blemish being an eight-point showing in a game he exited early due to a lower back injury. Battle scored a game-high 24 points in SU’s last outing and has played go-to scorer whenever SU needs an offensive boost.

Kenpom odds: Kenpom gives Syracuse a 53 percent chance to win this game. Kenpom also gives SU a greater-than-50-percent chance to win in each of its next five games, four of which come inside the Carrier Dome.

Player to watch: Jessie Govan, center, No. 15

Govan is a 6-foot-10 junior center who weighs 270 lbs, immediately creating a size mismatch inside for Paschal Chukwu and Bourama Sidibe. Neither comes within 40 pounds of Govan, who averages team highs in points (20.6 per game) and rebounds (13.0). A year ago he made 19 starts, placing third on the team in points (10.1 per game) and tying for the team lead with almost five boards per game. On Saturday, Govan and his double-double average pose as a dangerous threat in the paint that Syracuse hasn’t yet seen this season.