Pizza chain is 1st confirmed tenant in The Marshall housing project

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

The Marshall luxury apartments are set to be completed by fall 2018. There will be 278 units and retail space on the ground level.

A sign of looming change on University Hill is literally hanging over the Marshall Street area. A red crane, recently set up near South Crouse Avenue, towers above the former Hungry Chuck’s property.

The Marshall, a luxury student housing development that displaced the popular bar, is quickly going vertical. Steel beams are being placed across the construction site, which is adjacent to the Marshall Square Mall. And, as one developer confirmed, a tenant is already planning to move into the building’s first floor of commercial space.

Blaze Pizza, a fast-casual pizza chain based in California, is the first business to announce that it will operate out of the apartment complex, which will include 278 units and is expected to be completed in fall 2018.

Jared Hutter — owner of Syracuse 727 LLC, the real estate development company spearheading The Marshall project — said Blaze Pizza initially contacted the company about space because the chain wants to expand into central New York.

“They were looking to grow, and we are excited to have them,” Hutter said. “It kind of worked out well.”

Blaze Pizza was also looking to move into an upscale location, he added.

“One of the things about designing the building and really looking at is that the university area, the Marshall Street area, is upgrading the retail and upgrading the student experience right around there,” Hutter said. “And to us, it all starts with food.”

1

Courtesy of Jared Hutter

Jerry Dellas, owner of Varsity Pizza and president of the Crouse Marshall Business Development District, said he does not feel competitive with Blaze Pizza.

Dellas said he sees Varsity and Blaze Pizza working together. A new pizza place will help expand the food options in the area, he added.

“The area is changing, and we are getting more diversified, we’re growing, more people are living in the area, bringing the students to the Crouse Marshall area,” Dellas said.

Hutter, a Syracuse University alumnus, said he wants to improve the dining options on Marshall Street based off his own experience when he attended SU 15 years ago.

“My opinions are that there is nothing good beyond Varsity and Faegan’s. I don’t think anything is good right there,” Hutter said.

Some other managers who own businesses near the project site had varying opinions about Blaze Pizza. Erin Southworth, assistant manager of 3fifteen, a thrift shop in the Marshall Square Mall, said she did not hear much about the project until reading about it in the news. Steven Papazides, manager of Acropolis Pizza House, said he’s seen many local businesses come and go on the Hill.

Blaze Pizza is the only confirmed tenant in the new retail complex, Hutter said. He added that he is trying to contract retailers that will be in high-demand.

Steve Theobald, owner of Chuck’s, originally planned to move into the new building. Hutter confirmed in August that Chuck’s would not be moving into The Marshall, though.