Music Column

Emotionally honest artist Jessie Reyez is on the rise as the next biggest artist

Toronto-based artist Jessie Reyez has been on everyone’s radar in the music industry since she dropped her first single “Figures” last year. Since then, she has continued to climb the music industry ladder with her EP “Kiddo” released in April.

She has come a long way since passing out mixtapes at the club, as she is now collaborating with artists such as Calvin Harris, performing on talk shows such as “The Tonight Show” Starring Jimmy Fallon and “Late Night” with Seth Meyers, and selling out New York City’s Bowery Ballroom in 60 seconds.

Reyez started landing on radars following the release of “Kiddo” and her impressive performance at this year’s BET Awards. Most recently, she released “Cotton Candy” on Friday, mentioning that it comes from the same heartbreak that inspired “Figures,” according to Hot New Hip Hop.

The thing that makes Reyez stand out in this industry is that she isn’t sugarcoating any of her struggles or hardships, as some developing artists do when they are first starting out. Lyrics about insecurities, heartbreak and lost love surround her music, as she allows her songs to live “with no makeup.” She also isn’t afraid to call out sections of the industry for being “utter scumbags.”

The track “Gatekeeper” is a perfect example of how Reyez’s music doesn’t gloss over everything, despite the fact that she is just starting out. It observes the “sexist shadiness” of the music industry and discusses true events that happened to Reyez. It is about the misogyny and sexual abuse that is overlooked in the music industry: “Spread your legs, open up, you could be famous,” she sings. She isn’t afraid to take a stand on an issue, which is shown through each and every song.

Reyez owes her music to her Colombian and Canadian roots. Her hometown allowed her to hold on to her Colombian heritage, while influencing her with other cultures. “Kiddo,” more specifically, shows how Reyez values her roots and “family over everything,” as the calligraphy was done by her nephew, the album cover was shot by her cousin, and the girl on the cover is her niece.

Her most recent track, “Cotton Candy,” is intense, anxiety-ridden and loner-esque. Lines such as, “I know this road too well, I don’t wanna see you at a bar;” “still waiting for your call, aren’t you the one that’s supposed to pick me up when I fall;” and “maybe you start thinking, ‘damn, I lost her,’” show the roots of her heartbreak.

These lines are parallel to those in her track “Figures,” with lines such as, “I know I’m crying cause you just won’t change,” “I’m the bad guy ’cause I can’t learn to trust” and “you say sorry once and you think its enough.”

Reyez isn’t afraid to expose her realest and truest self, a kill that artists develop over years and years in the business. Her songs have even been compared to those of  music phenomenon Amy Winehouse for their “gut-wrenching rawness.”

Reyez’s music also reminds me of the Jersey R&B singer SZA, as she doesn’t tell stories, but rather the truth about the hardships and struggles she’s faced in her love life. But neither of these artists are looking for pity, rather just an outlet to express their emotions honestly. Described as “unabashed openness,” SZA’s music is direct — as it doesn’t filter anything — just like Reyez’s.

Reyez has been branded by many as a rising star and as an artist to watch, as she has reached millions of listeners worldwide. Her honest lyrics and raw emotion and performances are only the beginning.

Phoebe Smith is a senior public relations major. Hercolumnappearsbiweekly in Pulp. You can email her at[email protected]or follow her on Twitter@phoebesmithh5.