Beat writers predict Syracuse’s win streak comes to an end against No. 2 Kansas

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

Syracuse downed Maryland on Monday night, but its biggest test of the season comes Saturday against No. 2 Kansas.

Syracuse (6-0) walked away with a 72-70 win against Maryland on Monday night, a game where Tyus Battle was “50 percent,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. Battle finished the game with 18 points including the Orange’s last nine while Frank Howard added 15 points and 10 assists. Syracuse’s biggest test, however, comes Saturday night as it will take on No. 2 Kansas in Miami, Florida. The Orange will be without backup point guard Geno Thorpe, who has left the team, in part, for lack of playing time.

Here are our three beat writers’ thoughts on the upcoming matchup.

Sam Fortier (6-0)
Rocked Chalk
Kansas 75, Syracuse 61

Well, Syracuse will face Kansas in its first game without Thorpe, who SU Athletics announced left the program on Friday afternoon. This means when either point Howard or shooting guard Battle needs to leave the game, it’s likely freshman point guard Howard Washington will be called upon to play valuable minutes against Kenpom.com’s top-ranked team in the Jayhawks. Syracuse’s disadvantages, though, are much larger than that. Kansas is an elite shooting team that Syracuse’s stingy defense still won’t be able to quite contain, and the Jayhawks roll in Miami.

Matthew Gutierrez (6-0)
Self evident
Kansas 85, Syracuse 75

Let’s take time to get nostalgic about the 2003 national championship, when the Orange beat Kansas, 81-78. Almost nine years ago exactly, Syracuse again beat Kansas, this time 89-81, in overtime. Saturday night in Miami, however, Bill Self’s Jayhawks get revenge against the unranked Orange. Kansas may be the most complete team in the country, alongside Duke, giving Syracuse a tough task ahead.

Tomer Langer (6-0)
All good things
Kansas 81, Syracuse 69

I think it’s fair to say that the Orange has been a pleasant surprise so far. It hasn’t slipped up in any of its easier nonconference games, and came out with a really nice win over Maryland on Monday. The defense has been solid and the offense has done enough in spurts. I’m not sure that’ll be enough against arguably the best team in the country, though. Kansas has the size and strength at center, with 7-foot, 280-pound center Udoka Azubuike able to negate the advantage that Paschal Chukwu gives SU over most teams. Factor in the myriad of shooters Kansas has, and it might be a little bit too much for Syracuse to overcome.