ON CAMPUS

Mumps cases at Syracuse University jump to 34 confirmed, 73 probable since end of August

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

Syracuse University has held multiple mumps, measles and rubella vaccination clinics in the last two weeks.

The mumps outbreak at Syracuse University has affected more than 100 students since it began at the end of August, according to the university’s health services office.

In the last two months, SU confirmed 34 members of the community contracted the disease. Another 73 have probable cases.

In addition to the 107 SU community members with confirmed or probable mumps cases, there have been two probable cases in Onondaga County outside the campus community — one with a link to SU and one with no known connection to the university, according to the Onondaga County Health Department.

Students with confirmed or probable cases are being isolated from campus for up to five days.

All students who have contracted the mumps have been properly vaccinated. Two doses are about 88 percent effective in preventing the disease,  according to the Centers for Disease Control.

The university began distributing a third dose of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine to student-athletes on Oct. 24 and to the undergraduate population on Oct. 26. The university hosted an additional mumps clinic Wednesday.

A Centers for Disease Control advisory board recommended last week that people exposed to a mumps outbreak receive a third dose of the MMR vaccine.

On Oct. 17, SU’s Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly sent an email to faculty members asking them to help students infected with the mumps by possibly extending assignment deadlines or providing make-up exams.

Mumps is highly contagious and can be transmitted when an infected person coughs, sneezes or touches objects such as doorknobs or handrails.