AJ Dillon has his way, other fast reactions to Syracuse’s 42-14 loss to Boston College

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse went winless in November for the second-straight season after falling to BC Saturday in the Dome.

Without its starting quarterback and running back for the second straight game, Syracuse got blown out at home, 42-14, in its final game of the 2017 season. Boston College (7-5, 4-4 Atlantic Coast), a bowl-eligible team that had already beaten Preseason Top 25 teams in Louisville and Florida State, beat the Orange (4-8, 2-6) convincingly on Saturday afternoon in front of an announced attendance of 30,302.

Here are three quick reactions to the game.

No-win November

With the loss, Syracuse fell to 0-8 over the past two Novembers. The Orange has not won a game in the month since beating Boston College two years ago this weekend in former head coach Scott Shafer’s sendoff victory. The Syracuse senior class is the first since 2009 to graduate without appearing in a bowl game, as the Orange lost its final five games of the year. Its last win came in the Carrier Dome on Oct. 13 against then-No. 2 Clemson. Over the final 10 quarters of the 2017 season, SU was outscored 114-29.

The AJ Dillon show

Dillon, a 6-foot, 240-pound true freshman running back, proved to be one of Syracuse’s toughest tailbacks faced all year. He entered Saturday averaging 5.1 yards per carry to go along with 10 rushing touchdowns, including four in a 272-yard showing at Louisville. In his last three games, he ran for 149, 196 and 200 yards, respectively. Saturday against the depleted Syracuse defense, he erupted for 193 yards and three touchdowns.

In his footsteps

Syracuse senior wide receiver Steve Ishmael broke a pair of program records Saturday. First, he snapped Amba Etta-Tawo’s single-season receptions record of 94, which Etta-Tawo set a year ago in a rout at Clemson. Then Ishmael, on the final touchdown catch of his college career, broke Marvin Harrison’s career receiving yards record (2,728). Ishmael idolized Harrison as a kid, and he broke his idol’s record in his final game at Syracuse. Ishmael finished the day with 11 catches for 187 yards.