Director of athletic bands brings new energy to the SU Marching Band

Marisa Frigoletto | Contributing Photographer

Timothy Diem, who was recently named as the new director of athletic bands, looks out onto the Carrier Dome field.

The rhythms of the drumline reverberate against the walls of the Carrier Dome as students trickle in, ready for another marching band rehearsal. Musicians collect along the edges of the turf, grouped according to instrument section. The shriek of a whistle cuts through the air and drum major Catherine Canete alerts the band to the beginning of practice.

“Two minutes.” New reeds are fitted into place and color guard flags unfurl.

Timothy Diem, the new director of Athletic Bands, darts between different sections of musicians, a clipboard in each hand and a Syracuse baseball cap pushed back on his head. He stops to chat with different groups and check in with the drum majors.

Diem arrived in Syracuse in mid-August after spending 16 years at the University of Minnesota. After more than 20 years of teaching at different institutions across the country, Diem has the familiarity and understanding to take on the complexities of student ensembles.

“Marching band students are the same all over, they just wear different colors,” Diem said.

There’s been plenty of adaptation and collaboration between the director and students as he gets acclimated to the program. When teaching in the Midwest, many of his players were resistant to change, Diem said, but in Syracuse he notices the players are easier to teach.

Most band members have performed under the former director Justin Mertz for the entirety of their college careers. The change in leadership has been little more difficult for the senior musicians than the freshmen, but everyone is willing to step up, said Joshua McCleary, percussion section leader.

“He’s trying to show us the future. He wants us to expand, become a lot bigger, a more respected marching band in the ACC, which I can appreciate,” McCleary said. “He’s just pretty intense about implementing a lot of changes this year.”

100217_diem_marisafrigoletto_cp

Leading the band during rehearsals, drum majors serve as conductors.

Coming from a Big Ten school, Diem is accustomed to different standards. Unlike the Pride of Minnesota, the Syracuse University Marching Band is a volunteer-based, non-audition ensemble. Diem has brought to Syracuse the intensity, structure and organization of a large, renowned ensemble. Students like Shealyn O’Halloran, a senior mellophone player, said these changes are a positive push for the band.

“He’s kind of given us a facelift,” O’Halloran said. “We’ve been doing the same thing for the past couple years, so I think it’s like a nice refresher for the band.”

One initiative Diem has taken on this semester is creating more of a connection between the band and the student spectators during football games. He plays contemporary songs and directs more attention toward the student section.

“In the first game, when the whole band turned and pointed our horns straight at the student section, I noticed a reaction,” said senior drum major Kevin Varga. “The fact we acknowledged the students and were playing something that they knew, it made the atmosphere a little more together.”

The band administration is also looking to increase the size of the marching band. Diem plans to seek out students who studied music in high school but aren’t sure about continuing in college.

Leah Potter, a freshman at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, played trumpet and baritone in high school, but stopped after graduation. Looking to meet new people, Potter expressed interest in joining the marching band. Diem emailed her personally to say the band would love to have her, despite it being halfway through the season.

The process to fill the position of director of Athletic Bands began with a nationwide search. There were more than 70 applicants, most of whom had doctorates and experience with university bands. Bradley Ethington, the director of bands at the Setnor School of Music, said there were many qualities that made Diem a suitable candidate.

“I think his communication skills are one of his greatest strengths, and that’s extremely important with a position like this,” Ethington said. “The marching band director at any major university needs to communicate with a lot of different constituencies on and off campus.”

While Diem is at the head of the marching band, he has a strong network of individuals — including Ethington and Francesca Moore, the band office administrative specialist — all helping him ease into the new position. Beyond the administration, student leaders within the band also work closely with Diem and provide feedback.

Drum majors are student conductors who lead the band during rehearsals. These students are liaisons between Diem and the rest of the band and help the director with scheduling and getting to know Syracuse traditions.

“Drum majors are my go-to, to see where the band is at,” Diem said.

The most difficult part of taking on the new role has been the whirlwind of change that came with moving halfway across the country. The Diem family left Minnesota July 31 — two weeks later, Diem was on campus for his first day of band camp.

Diem’s wife is a Cortland native, and he said he and his three sons have enjoyed spending time with that side of the family and exploring the area. It’s been a lot to get used to, but Diem said he’s enjoyed the process.

“All new adventures, as my boys say,” said Diem.