FRATERNITY AND SORORITY AFFAIRS

Syracuse University chapter of Delta Tau Delta fraternity suspended for violations that include hazing

Paul Schlesinger | Assistant Photo Editor

Incidents of hazing and other violations of the national fraternity's risk management policy led to the Delta Tau Delta fraternity's suspension in September.

UPDATED: Oct. 17 at 7:59 p.m.

The Delta Tau Delta fraternity chapter at Syracuse University has been suspended after multiple violations of the organization’s policies, including hazing incidents, per a release from the national organization.

All chapter operations have ceased, said Jean Lloyd, brand communications manager for the Delta Tau Delta fraternity’s national organization.

The university’s Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities is currently investigating the fraternity to determine the extent to which the Code of Student Conduct was violated, per Laura Sanders, director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs at SU.

Members of the Gamma Omicron chapter of Delta Tau Delta were notified of its closure on Sept. 27.

According to the Department of Public Safety’s daily crime log, hazing reportedly occurred at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house in March 2017. The incident was reported to DPS on Oct. 3, per the crime log, and DPS referred the case to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities on the same day.

Incidents of hazing occurred during the spring 2017 semester, according to the national organization’s release.

SU’s Fraternity and Sorority Affairs’ Community Expectations guidelines say “no chapter, colony, student or alumnus shall conduct nor condone hazing activities,” even if permission or approval is given by the person being hazed.

Those guidelines define hazing as any situation intentionally created to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule, on or off fraternity premises.

Sanders said the university has a zero-tolerance policy toward hazing.

The Interfraternity Council’s Peer Review Board put the fraternity under investigation for hazing in 2006.