From the Kitchen

The Sweet Praxis turns 1 year old, celebrates community outreach

Courtesy of The Sweet Praxis

The Sweet Praxis, a local Syracuse restaurant and bakery, is celebrating its one-year anniversary.

With a personalized brew of coffee and distribution deals throughout Syracuse, local restaurant and bakery The Sweet Praxis has developed a strong standing in its first year.

The Sweet Praxis will host an all-day event Friday to celebrate its one-year anniversary. Owners Natalie Evans and Jennifer Walls will give free treats to patrons, try out new recipes and hold a raffle.

“(We’re) excited because this is basically like a birthday for us,” Walls said. “We’re turning one, and we wanted to be able to share that celebration with the community, customers and our business partners. This is a way to celebrate and say, ‘Thank you.’”

Evans and Walls started the restaurant a year ago when they decided to turn their made-to-order catering service into a restaurant, located at 203 E. Water St. Prior to The Sweet Praxis, the owners baked pastries for weddings and birthdays, and sold their food to local businesses, including Cafe Kubal.

The Sweet Praxis specializes in soups, salads, open-face sandwiches, quiches, yogurt-granola bowls, porridge and toast. Some of its most popular items are donuts and “snickerdoodle” sandwich cookies, which are both vegan.

road-trip-to-pittsburgh

Courtesy of The Sweet Praxis

“People don’t mind they are vegan, and then obviously it’s special for people who are vegan because it’s hard to find things like that in the area,” Walls said. “We would never put food out unless it was so amazing that you weren’t able to tell it’s vegan, same with our gluten-free things.”

Many of their soups are usually vegetarian and sometimes vegan. Walls noted that their soups rarely have meat in them.

Local businesses like their food so much that they have asked The Sweet Praxis to partner with the restaurant. Taylor Doupe, the co-owner of Soleil Cafe, asked Evans and Walls if they could sell some of their pastries in their cafe on a weekly basis.

“They opened up shortly after our cafe and we were really excited to go and check out their products,” Doupe said. “I anticipated them to be really great and sure enough when they opened my husband and I were really a fan of their baked goods and cakes.”

Soleil Cafe has partnerships with many local businesses in the greater Syracuse area. Doupe said the cafe is especially pleased with a partnership with The Sweet Praxis because the cafe no issues with it which she said is impressive for a new business.

“They put in a lot of time and effort and they educate themselves to making sure they’re producing the best products that they can,” Doupe said. “They’re really great people and they’re also really professional.”

road-trip-to-pittsburgh

Courtesy of The Sweet Praxis

Recess Coffee also partners with the restaurant and bakery. Recess’s coffee is sold in The Sweet Praxis and it is a blend that is specially made for The Sweet Praxis. Recess Coffee communications coordinator Cathy Roosa said the coffee is called the “The Sweet Praxis blend.”

Evans and Walls always come up with and produce new recipes – making their menu seasonally exclusive.

Walls said that with 30 seats, free Wi-Fi and a diverse menu, The Sweet Praxis caters to all types of eaters.

“It’s a great place for people to come and do work or sit down with friends, just get a treat or a lunch,” Walls said. “We love meeting new people and sharing these exciting things with our customers.”