Everson exhibit ‘On My Own Time’ celebrates hidden abilities of local amateur artists

Courtesy of Kara Greene

Lisa Phelan is one of the local artists featured in the "On My Own Time" exhibit, representing SUNY Upstate Medical University with her piece "Turtle Friends."

For some, art is a full-time job, but for most it is an outlet for creative expression. This fall, the Everson Museum of Art is making strides to promote part-time artists.

For 44 years, the museum and CNY Arts have featured local artists in its “On My Own Time” exhibit. The museum will host the show’s opening night Saturday. Ranging from woodwork to fiber art, the entries cover a diverse pallet of mediums.

“What’s interesting to me is the historic tension between ‘art’ and ‘craft’ and what ‘counts’ as real art,” said Christina Limpert, a lecturer at State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry. “I feel like ‘On My Own Time’ has a role in defining boundaries.”

A photographer outside of the classroom, Limpert expressed longing to enter her work.

For the selected participants, to have their work in the Everson as a part of “On My Own Time” exhibition can be bittersweet.

“It’s a vulnerable thing to do — to show more of yourself to people,” said Rachelle Lando, CNY Arts program coordinator.

Companies involved have a show on site of entries from their employees. The CNY Arts panel selects artists for the final month-long display at the Everson. Panelists come from different backgrounds, but all share professional expertise in the arts.

Program coordinator Kara Greene said the three panelists that pick art from the exhibits have different viewpoints and interpretations.

Choosing which entries make the final display can be vexing for the panelists, the coordinators said. The panelists, Greene said, select about 15 percent to 20 percent of the pieces depending on the size of the exhibit.

Although the participants are not professional artists, Green said the difference between the quality of their pieces from that of professionals is indiscernible.

Syracuse University is among the list of participating groups. Their site showing is on display in Hendricks Chapel, which is one of the larger workplace displays.

“On My Own Time” is in its 44th year. Participating companies tend to return, and some have been involved for 30 years, Greene said. Receiving recognition for their work promotes the interaction of creativity in the workplace.

Acting as a pathway to promote art in the realm of business, “On My Own Time” gives local artists the opportunity to take the next step in advancing their career.

“In business, there’s often a hierarchy,” Lando said. “But in our program, everyone’s on the same level. They’re all artists.”