Despite loss to No. 8 Miami, Syracuse has teased us of what it could become

Courtesy of Miami Herald

After his third interception, Eric Dungey was 1-for-10 with 12 passing yards and a quarterback rating (-39.9) below the coldest temperature (in Fahrenheit) ever recorded in Syracuse.

MIAMI — Last year’s Syracuse team would have been knocked out of contention Saturday, considering SU had four first-half turnovers on the road against a top-10 team. But this year’s team is different because the Orange is no longer solely reliant on its offense. A near-upset at No. 8 Miami this weekend proved the win against Clemson last week was no fluke.

With one of the toughest schedules in the country, the Orange has yet to lose by more than nine points this season. In 2016, Syracuse fell by at least 15 points in each of its eight losses. That, more than anything, provides reason to believe Syracuse (4-4, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) can become bowl eligible for the first time in four years.

Here we are, Syracuse owning a 4-4 record with four games remaining, exactly like last year. It’s been a season full of the unexpected: an emotional defeat to Middle Tennessee State and former head coach Scott Shafer in Week 2, a series of injuries to the defense, competitive losses on the road at now-No. 24 LSU and now-No. 16 North Carolina State and a massive upset over the defending national champion followed by a near-shocker at No. 8 Miami.

This all shows Syracuse is better equipped to handle any challenges it faces, even if the team isn’t playing to its full potential.

soclose_embed

Andy Mendes | Digital Design Editor

“Syracuse is a really good football team,” Miami head coach Mark Richt said after his Hurricanes beat SU, 27-19. “We’ve seen what they can do, especially last week with Clemson, but everybody that’s played them this year has been just talking about them and how much harder they’re playing now, and with a purpose.”

In SU’s latest game, junior quarterback Eric Dungey had his worst half of football in college. After his third interception in the first half, Dungey lay on his back on the Hard Rock Stadium grass. He was 1-for-10 with 12 passing yards and a quarterback rating (-39.9) below the coldest temperature (in Fahrenheit) ever recorded in Syracuse.

Yet, Syracuse positioned itself to have a shot at beating the surging Hurricanes. Dungey fought back with his legs and despite four takeaways, SU held a balanced Miami offense to only 27 points. Not to mention, senior wide receiver Steve Ishmael was hurt during parts of the Miami game and SU has played without Antwan Cordy, Kendall Coleman and Josh Black, key contributors to the defense. Syracuse didn’t have its best, fully healthy team on the field.

“Our whole team can be way better,” senior linebacker Parris Bennett said. “We’ve got a lot of guys banged up. Eight straight games is hard. We’ll use the bye week to get healthy, prepare for Florida State.”

In Babers’ eyes, the difference this year lies in Dungey. He’s healthy. At Clemson last year, Dungey suffered a season-ending upper-body injury. He missed the final three games of 2015. This season, the nucleus of Syracuse’s offense has suffered no serious injuries. For the first time, we could see what Dungey’s capable of for a full season, a message Babers has echoed since August.

Yet the credit does not belong to Dungey alone. Syracuse’s success over its past two games is a team-wide triumph, the result of keen decision-making, defensive improvement, big-time plays and the execution of the players.

The past two games also contrasted the Syracuse people have come to know. All of a sudden, the Orange, with a bowl game in its sights, looks like it belongs with the ACC’s best. The senior class doesn’t want to be the first since 2009 to graduate without a winning season.

“We have the toughest schedule in the country and we’re 4-4,” Babers said after the Miami loss. “Guess what? We’ve got two more on the road and two more at home in the Loud House. And I guarantee you we’re going to be ready for those four games.

“I guarantee you people aren’t excited about playing us. The four teams that are left, they’re not saying, ‘Oh goodie, here comes Syracuse.’ I guarantee you that. I guarantee you that.”

For Syracuse, it won’t be easy. While a game against a plunging Florida State team suddenly looks winnable, keep in mind FSU is still a Preseason Top 25 team and will play at home against SU. Wake Forest, Louisville and Boston College follow to round out November. Over the past three years, Syracuse is 1-11 in the last third of the season.

But how about this: If Syracuse exhibits the same resolve and ability to improvise as it did the past two weeks, I guarantee you SU will stay in games.

Syracuse has teased us of what it could become, and there’s a good chance we’ll see it soon.